What hardware for sheet control?

H2oPaul

:D I read a thread titled What hardware for sheet control? have some questions and saw the date on it was 2005. thought I could revive it here. Hope this is not a problem with anyone. I was sailing my sunfish on 15 + knots and was hicking out as far as I could. mostly to have fun doing it. trying to learn what the boats and my skills limits are. I found that with the system that my boat has. I cant keep the main sheet from cleating it self, or I have to keep my arm way up high. I have what I think is a Hexaratchet swivel base with a 420 harken block. anyways workes grate on helping my arm when the wind is realy blowing and I love to be able to cleat the main when im relaxing or geting a drink or at time i find I use the cleat to bring in some sheet and then I cleat it and bring in some more sheet in. anyways the problem I see is that the cam cleat base system I have , locks to the down position. so as I hick out hard, like it or not the main sheet cleats it self. now I seen some boats with an upside down cleating system. you have to pull up to cleat it and down to uncleat it. this would work grate when hicking out hard. . and you could use the cleats when relaxing or giving your arm a rest. and , it seems alot of new sailors tend to hold on to the main sheet to long when thay do capsize. I seen boats with no sailors going for a long time before thay came to a stop (not fun for the sailor lol) so anyways I think if some one would hold on to the main to long and capsize on most cases it should not stay cleated. if the system was upside down. I hope I make some sence here. Im sory if I dont. I hope I can get some feed back on this and maybe turn the grate new system I have now into something that works better for me. thanks Paul

An upside down main cleat does sound like it would be a good idea. Does anyone know if there is one like this out there?

Personally I don't use cleats as I am continually adjusting the main sheet. You could run you line through your current system backwards, moving the cleat out of the way. If you must use cleats, get a pair of clam cleats (with bases) and mount them at the front coners of the cockpit. That way the cleat is closer to you when hiked out and you can uncleat in a hurry. Keep the main sheet in your hand at all times for emergancies. Replace your current system with a Harken 009 (3") or 019 (2-1/4") Hexratchet block (or similar) with stand up spring (071) and an eyestrap or base and I think you will be happier.

supercub said:
Replace your current system with a Harken 009 (3") or 019 (2-1/4") Hexaratchet block (or similar) with stand up spring (071) and an eyestrap or base and I think you will be happier.

Exactly; that's what 90% of the racers use.

SUPERCUB, i like what your saying here. do you have a picture of the setup? or maybe a link to the parts i would need to build it? i have a swivel base with a big harken block i like to keep but if there is something alot better im game for spending a few extra bucks. thanks for all the help. now im going to go read all i can find about broken mast holes. i delaminated to top of my boat today right were the mast goes into the hole. cracked all the way round. need to fix it right and do it soon so i can get back out on the water. :cool:

Pepstuge,

(clockwise)
Pict 1 - Temp fix (Cleat not used) your set up reversed
Pict 2 - Harken 019 Hexratchet (shown) or 009, spring and eyestrap. The slide switch on the side turns the ratchet feature on or off.
Pict 3 - Your set up (or similar)

Can't say which clam cleats & bases to use, they need to be sized to the mainsheet line (5/16"). Locate them as far out and forward as the underside of the cockpit permits (no pict).

APS, http://www.apsltd.com/Home.asp , Wind Line, http://www.windline.net/index.html , Layline , http://www.layline.com/departments.asp?dept=1, Masthead , http://www.mastheadsailinggear.com/ and others. All have the parts that you can order

Attachments

• IMG_0396a.jpg
    IMG_0396a.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0392a.jpg
    IMG_0392a.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0395b.jpg
    IMG_0395b.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 59
I think i have the Harken 019 Hexratchet. it also has a swivel base. im trying to figure out a way to load a picture from my puter to here buit so far it wont do it for some reson.

Paul,

That does look like the 019. I don't know if it is possible to remove the cam and cam mount from the rest of the unit, but it's worth a try. Use the swivle base with the spring instead of the eyestrsp I use.

Back