What Happened to Ross B

GBR 134

I must have missed something - Ross B has been banned? How could this happen, what caused it and who is going to step in and enliven the forum as only he could? Is there an appeals process? Should we start a petition? Will USA now win Olympic Gold in 2012?

I must have missed something - Ross B has been banned? How could this happen, what caused it and who is going to step in and enliven the forum as only he could? Is there an appeals process? Should we start a petition? Will USA now win Olympic Gold in 2012?

Ross B was banned for 30 days for deliberately trying to derail the debate in a thread. Not everyone was charmed by his mindless interruptions. There were complaints, and the banishment, his second, was a response to those. After the banishment period ends, Ross can choose whether or not he wants to come back. He is welcome to do so as long as he has something to contribute to a discussion, other than, 'this doesn't interest me, you should get over it' (a paraphrase on my part, not a direct quote) type of comments. Besides lapses of this sort, Ross can and does contribute to the forum.

Ross B was banned for 30 days for deliberately trying to derail the debate in a thread.

I hope he wasn't banned for his comments in this thread. Sometimes debates go off on a tangent. There is nothing wrong with that. There is no real reason why a thread must stay tightly focused on some pre-ordained topic. Ross's comments poked some holes in the logic I was using in the Mommy boat thread that relied on the advantage provided by Mommy boats to advocate for their restriction. His comments led me to the argument that they at least provide an unfair advantage, and eventually led me to the argument that the advantage provided makes no difference if outside assistance is against the rules.

Chainsaw's comments were at least as "derailing" as Ross's.

This forum does not need as much oversight as its moderators think. Most of us are capable of ignoring irrelevance and random interjections, and can put up with some tangential discussion. Please do not cater to the lowest common denominator; not everything that offends a few delicate people is actually sufficiently offensive to warrant action.

wow, I can see how threads on Sailing Anarchy and Catsailor.com forum get out of control, but the threads here are pretty tame comparitively, and its not because of banning or the threat thereof, Its because most people here just are of a better sort.
Lets all have a group hug and trophies for everyone!
wait, was that a pointless, opinionated, thread derailing statement?

group hug :D ... i just want to say i only joined this site this year ... but with bad experience in many different forums i want to commend the Admins for a fine site. This is the longest i have been in a forum and i feel i will be around for a while.

group hug :D ... i just want to say i only joined this site this year ... but with bad experience in many different forums i want to commend the Admins for a fine site. This is the longest i have been in a forum and i feel i will be around for a while.
I'm with you Reon - Much as I enjoyed Ross's great self confidence and strong opinions, whilst rarely agreeing with him, I can't help thinking that a months ban won't do him much harm. No doubt he will get over it and move on if he has any character at all. Somehow methinks that he is unlikely to learn from it though!

And the effect on the 2012 US Olympic bid?

SailChris,

How does my post make me a 'delicate' person. The fact that I found Ross's useless babble on a thread annoying and called him on it somehow make me delicate? For having an opinion? For expressing it? For thinking that being rude, disrespectful and generally playing the a$$ is not OK? If that makes me 'delicate' in your eyes, then so be it - I'll live.

As for the lowest common denominator comment, I would say that honor rest squarely in the court of those that believe being a smartass is cool. So how cool are comments like this:

http://http://http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61473&view=findpost&p=1379954

Give me a break. This is the future of the class - awesome, can't wait.

As long as it is ok with you, I'll keep on being my delicate self. Way to go!

I didn't ask for anyone to be banned, I don't care what TLF does to police itself. I read and contribute to it because I like sailing lasers and don't want the class to die off. I don't read and contribute to it to pander to the egos of self admitted wise ass little rich kids.

Matt

Mawill,

You took "exception" to Ross and his "attempts to wreck what was a good conversation."

You asked him to "spread [his] particular brand of humor and lack of common courtesy somewhere else."

Ross was then banned because "not everyone was charmed by his mindless interruptions." I have a feeling your comment was one of the reasons for this decision.

You can choose to ignore Ross's comments, but if you do respond you should not take offense (once again) at someone's characterization of your response.

Whether your comments were intended to cause the effect they eventually did cause is somewhat irrelevant.

I find the modern attitude that people have a "right" not to be offended ridiculous. (See e.g. Imus). You may not actually be a delicate person, but unfortunately, your reaction to potentially offensive conduct triggered an out-of-proportion response.

The internet is a strange place where people act strangely, get used to it. Ross keeps things lively here. Ignore him if you don't like it. Nothing he did was so bad that it warranted banning.

The adminstrators of this forum bear responsibility for banning Ross. It was his second banning. In the first, he was banned for responding to nearly every thread without providing relevant content. His second banning was for a similar reason. His behavior so far does not fit the content rich and user friendly paradigm of The Laser Forum.

SailChris -

If the LF bans people, I have nothing to do with it. Am I all that sorry - no, not really. Did my comments have anything to do with it, don't know - merrily says not.

To respond to your post:

I too don't agree with the right not to be offended - I was, and I said so -what's wrong with that? Why am I not allowed to say it?

I look at it like this - you're at a beach with your family for nice day. Next to you, a bunch of guys are all sitting around swearing and generally being punks - nothing that is going to land them in jail, but enough to wreck your outing. Do you sit there and say nothing - it is within their rights to do what they want - right? Or do you stand up and say something - tell them to knock it off.

My opinion, too many people turn around, pack up the family and go home for whatever reason. Let the ones with the loudest mouths run them off - I find the modern attitude that it is my "right" to do/say/behave in whatever manner I choose without consequences to be equally as rediculous as the modern attitude that people have a "right" not to be offended.

I was offended/annoyed/tired of reading inane comments specifically designed to derail a conversation (his words) and I asked him to knock it off - and you characterize that as being delicate - which I disagree with. I think it was a rational normal request that has nothing to do with being delicate or not - you don't - I get that.

Matt

You are certainly allowed to say what you want. It is now apparent to me that it is not you that is delicate but that the moderators are overly sensitive and delicate.

HEY!!

How come nobody calls me delicate??

I can be delicate.

Just because I have a special big key typing board for fist use does not mean I ain't delicate!!

My favorite delicacy is wursts and kraut on a medium hard roll with spicy coarse ground mustard.

As soon as I finish pounding out this message I will start yelling for a doctor to let me out of this padded room so I can come delicatly beat some sense into you.

edit: This may have to wait. I asked the ticket agent for a round trip ticket so I could make the trip.
He replied with the question, "Destination?"
I said,"Round trip"
He asked, "Where to?" and I lost it.
They dragged me back to the same old cell.
How the hell do jerks like that get jobs at ticket counters??
There I was, standing at the Austin Airport.
You might think I lost it because the idiot ended his sentence with a preposition.
You would be wrong. That just started me down the road to pissed.
The dumbass sells tickets all damn day long. Where the hell does he think a round trip ticket takes a person??
I grabbed the jerk by his shirt front and screamed, "Austin!!! Here!! Round trip!! You...."
The rest was not as nice and probably should not be quoted here.

Anyway, I guess the airport cops think it is OK that ticket agents don't know the destination of a round trip ticket.

Live and learn.

Thorazine time! Gotta go!!

I've just noticed this thread.
He was just deliberately trying to destroy an interesting and useful debate. He was not even trying to add points but just destroy it. He was asked to stop but did not. He was asked again and continued. It is not the first time he has taken this attitude. Personally I think it left the forum admin with little choice. In effect it was his own choice.

Interesting thread Mawill points to on Sailinganarchy http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61473&st=0&p=1379954&#entry1379954. Are these the comments of a pleasant person who has something helpful and useful to add (and they continue from that point in the thread). An then if you look at what is being discussed in the tread - its the Coach/Nanny boat issue. What does Ross' opinion of others here have to do with Coach/Nanny boats. These forums are for exchange of information, advice, ideas, etc. They are not chat rooms for lonely people. I also note his comment "i apparently purposely destroyed a thread in truth I did ...". Why destroy a thread because you don't like it. Such attitudes beggar belief. disagree yes but just deliberately destroy !!

As it sounds like it has happened before, most forums would ban somebody forever 2nd time round.

Ian

I honestly don't remember this other time you banned me Merrily

It was that night at the after regatta party. You didn't tahe a shower and everybody else not only came clean but ...well lat's say you brought some of the shore line with you.

not a good part.

The part my pooch used to find and usew for a good roll.

Merrily had a spray bottle of Ban deodorant and discreetly sprayed some on you.

Believe me Ross. Everybody else who was there remembers.

Good to see you back.

Make certain you spend some time on the silly thread. It is designed so derailing it is the very object.

I'm a firm believer in that if you don't remember it, and there's no pics to prove it, it never happened! lol

But if the Gov says so, it will be taken into consideration

here ya go...
MK-AF465_USERAD_20051213193942.jpg

Back