What Gloves are You Using, my Gill gloves are Slippery with Robline Mainsheet

Woodwind

OK I have the Gill four seasons full finger gloves.
I’ve been sailing out in about 15 to 18 kts with higher gusts for the last few days and it’s pretty hard for me to stop the mainsheet from slipping through my hands. When I sail bigger boats I normally use the standard 3/4 finger split leather type gloves. Now I’ve switched to the synthetic gloves with full fingers for the Sunfish because I sail in the winter.

I obviously need a more grippy pair of gloves, what gloves are you all out there using for cold-weather sailing?
Keep in mind I’m using an 8 mm Robline main sheet that’s on the slippery side.

Think I’m going to give my hands a break today and not Sail........ but maybe not, I can now see the winds piping up again :D

Some people sand their slippery new sheet then wash it to make it easier to grip. Don’t know what # sandpaper they use tho.

Sanding lines is a bit extreme :confused: But "fresh" rope tends to be slippery, allegedly because of residue from the manufacturing process. Should be gone after a few sails. Of course you can soak/rinse it on land to speed up the process.

I use Zhik "superwarm" gloves in cold weather; they may not be very durable (nor inexpensive) but they are very warm indeed.

_

Sanding lines is a bit extreme :confused: But "fresh" rope tends to be slippery, allegedly because of residue from the manufacturing process. Should be gone after a few sails. Of course you can soak/rinse it on land to speed up the process.

I use Zhik "superwarm" gloves in cold weather; they may not be very durable (nor inexpensive) but they are very warm indeed.

_
Thanks Lali!!!

Funny, I just ordered Zhik gloves from Colie Sails.

BTW they are a very friendly shop that has great customer service. You can call and talk with them and ask questions about the products, they have time to do that....And they have a good selection of dinghy sailing goods.
A fast ship too at a reasonable price. Thanks Clay, at Colie Sails!!

Clay Johnson was a top Laser sailor who tried out for the (2012) US Olympic spot. He lost out narrowly to Rob Crane.

Clay Johnson was a top Laser sailor who tried for the US Olympic spot. He lost out narrowly to Rob Crane.
Clay is Super nice and knowledgeable.
It figures that he is an Olympic class sailor.

BTW Colie Sails has all the bits and pieces needed for the Sunfish too, down to cotter pins for the pintle.
They even stock rolls 3M electrical tape....

Here is my experience:
It looks like it is one of those sailing stores that I’d like to bump around in if it was only closer, but don’t worry their customer service and shipping puts them right at your fingertips. They have the newest coolest stuff too if that’s what you’re looking for.
Small convenient West System repair packs. They install your numbers on your sail if you purchase a sail from them.
Fast ship, easy exchanges reasonable prices and good website. No Backorder runaround...
They are now in the top of my list for Sunfish parts. I am pleased to have found them.

Also there are some very interesting things they make with recycled sail cloth. :cool:

Thanks Clay!!!

Back