what else should I look for???

SLT Kota

hey, I didn't win the capri 14.2 that I wanted... what else other then another one of theses should I look for? I really like racing style boats like club 420's lasers, and jy 15's, what else should I look for?
thanks,
Stuart

SLT Kota said:
what else should I look for?
thanks,
Stuart

Hey Stuart,
Too bad you missed on the Capri... :(

What else should you look for?

IMG_2348.jpg

If I were about 20 years younger, I might opt for the craft on the right. If I had an extra 20 grand laying about, I would definitely take a chance with the craft on the left. Given that I'm more than a day late and a dollar short, the Capri is a pretty nice consolation prize. ;)

If you're interested, here's a LINK to how the two speedsters compare.

Better luck next time,
Jim

PS. You might look at Craig's list as another source of online used sailboats.

Too much, I KNOW I can't go over 2K, I lost the capri when it was 1300, seemed like a good price but since I don't have the money my dad doesn't want to pay for something til I get my school semester finished up.

the one on the left is crazy! the one on the right is not really my style, maybe if I live in the ocean but there really isn't too too much wind around here and when there is plenty of wind it is usually too cold to PLAN on getting in the water, this is why I want like a JY or 420, but got intrested in the capri when I found the one on ebay, not quite what I want for race practice and my need for speed (though I'm use to alot faster like 50Knots lol) and it seems like a good boat I wouldn't worry about taking my mom out in.... I'm not dead set on anything right now..

the one thing that I was set on was no sunfish, in college sailing everyone bashes them and says don't admit to sailing them and if you own one the next question is WHY???

PLEASE HELP, I'M TEMPTED TO GO LOOK AT A SUNFISH!!!!! What is it exactly that is so bad other then the fact that they can't really make you a better sailor? A friend brought me an add from work that has a 95 sunfish for 300 bucks, thats all I know right now but older ones are going for much more on ebay and this could tie me over until I find the right boat and then it looks like I could sell it and make some money off the deal. All is says is the price and year, then moving to FL must sell.

I can't believe I am saying this but I might get a sunfish!!!! It fits the budget and the fact that it actually is local... what do I do???

Hmmmmm..... Sunfish, huh...

When I was 14, many decades ago, we had a Sunfish and I loved sailing it. It's easy to rig, simple to sail and practically indestructible, I didn't like it's non-swinging centerboard 'cause our local lake was scattered with stumps from before the dam was built. Naturally, we got to know where they were and could usually avoid them.

In my mind, if that's the best choice you have, I say damn the naysayers and go for it! They aren't great for two adults - being somewhat cramped and relatively light in displacement - but singlehanded, a Sunfish in the driveway is far better than spending the summer looking for a boat you might never find. And you can always sell it if a better boat comes along. Enjoy!!!

Jim

Are there any one design fleets already established where you live? If so , that's the first place to look to. There's nothing better than racing one design. Sounds like you're young, what about a Laser. Great fun, large world wide class, super sailing. Consider a Snipe, Lido or a Vangaurd 15 if you are sailing with a crew. Maybe even a 505 or a Hobie 16 if speed is your thrill. Even if there is not a fleet in your backyard if you get a boat in the right class, you can travel to good races. Where are you doing your sailing now?

JGM said:
In my mind, if that's the best choice you have, I say damn the naysayers and go for it! ..... but singlehanded, a Sunfish in the driveway is far better than spending the summer looking for a boat you might never find. And you can always sell it if a better boat comes along. Enjoy!!!

Jim

my thoughts exactly, I'm in chattanooga tennessee right now, the is one sailing club but it isn't big enought to have anything other then general dingy races if that even. lots of J 24's. I got into sailing when I went up to the university of tennessee in knoxville and could see the lake from my dorm room but couldn't get out on it, it drove me crazy (I live on the lake and have for my entire life) and I saw sailing as a way to get out on the lake... then I was hooked.

I am 19 and really haven't been sailing too long, I broke my back a few months ago so the seadoos are out for the summer, another reason why I want to go on ahead and get a sailboat. Thanks for the advice on the other boats, I'll look into them as well, and I have been looking for a laser but not much luck near me on finding one that isn't really old and really overpriced.
thanks,
Stuart

Go with the Sunfish if its a good boat and gets you on the lake for low $$$$ . Any Melges scows in your part of the world? They can be a hoot.

well the sunfish sold an hour and a half ago... I was worried about that cause it was only 300 bucks.... so I'm still looking... thanks for all the help. Where should I look other then ebay and craigslist?

If there is a Local Yacht club, post a wanted card there and a wanted ad here and on Craigs list. Someone has a boat just sitting doing nothing that they will sell. Worst case for now , go crew for some of the J24 guys. Good way to get on the water without ownership and racers are always in need of good crew. Good way to learn too.

Back