What else do you sail?

Grappler516

Hello all,

My first post. I always hear sailors call themselves racers or cruisers and they can't be both. I like racing the laser, but I've recently bought a Catalina 22 to relax on. I was wondering what everyone else relaxed on.

Jim

Grappler516 said:
Hello all,

My first post. I always hear sailors call themselves racers or cruisers and they can't be both. I like racing the laser, but I've recently bought a Catalina 22 to relax on. I was wondering what everyone else relaxed on.

Jim

A Sea Ray Sundeck 240! We recently bought a 1986 Star Wind 223 and started sprucing her up. We're looking forward to some cruising with her this summer.

Grappler516 said:
Hello all,

Jim
It's been a real long time since I've "relaxed" on a boat. All my sailing has been racing for the last many years.
No pics yet of my Laser, but here are my other boats;
The first pic is my current top passion: International One Metres:
img_1437.jpg

Second photo is Gemma, my Cal 25. She's being restored at the moment, hoping to get her back out this spring.
gemmacharity-053.jpg

Hi Jim,

I am sailing a laser radial now. I don't own a cruiser and not really want to get a cruiser as of now. The other boat that I relax on is Laser Pico. I sail it with my friend and it is fun sailing together. We tried roll gybe in stronger wind the other time and it was fun. Real fun in the sense that we uprighted the Pico when it almost capsized. Thanks to my friend's weight. I would not have done it alone.

And during light to no wind condition, one of us would front lay on the Pico bow and starts using front crawl to paddle the boat and the other one will sit at the stern to steer the rudder and control the mainsheet as well.. It is pure simple fun.

But I find Pico rudder gets easily out of control. It likes to swing around its slot especially after you tack. And the rudder gets easily out of water too. And you have to constantly look behind to check whether it is out and have to put it back fast.

Okie dokie.. Just something to share.. :)

The last 2 seasons [here in Australia] I've been sailing a "Solo", which has been fun. A whole lot easier and lazier to sail than a Laser! I grew up as a teenager racing Flying 11's and 16-foot skiffs tho... I haven't done a lot of 'cruising' sailing tho... I just LOVE sailing. Even our social racing is pure relaxation for me [well, mentally... my aching body says otherwise the day after! hahahaa]

I'm a one boat person, (like a one girl kinda guy) but the road that got me here is long and twisted. Got my start in PHRF in the late 70's on a Hunter 33. From there to J24, Force 5, S2 9.1, S2 7.9, C&C 41, A whole slew of PHRF boats, Laser, Windsurfer One Design, Hobie 16, Laser, Laser, J/24, Flying Scot, SC 70, J22, JY 15 Finally back to Laser.

mon-laser
tue-mumm30
wed-tasar
thurs-j24/laser
friday-pack up!
weekend-whatever is racing wherever

laser and tasar are the most fun, especially on a warm summer day in the gorge.

Mon - laser
Thur - Cal 20 #282/laser in the Gorge
Weekend & summer events -> Melges 24 some times
Weekend & summer events -> Mumm 30 with George from WestCoast
This March & July SantaCruz 50 Transpac

Some times I go really fast with a great big grin in my 18 foot Avon with new 90 HP 4 stroke!!!!!

what does a byte sail like? is it the new byte or the old one?

i sail the original designed byte... not the new CII... the byte sails very well actually. comparing it to the laser radial, the sail size is about equal. the boat going downwind is much much more unstable and surfs waves pretty well. depowering is much more easy due to the traveller in the middle of the boat. the sail has more depth which helps the boat to cut through waves. the kicker has much less control over the sail than in the laser as it could go slack when you sheet in hard while going upwind. the hull is lighter which makes the byte much faster than the laser in light wind. or so it seems. the great part about this boat is that it picks up speed very very quickly and is very maneuverable. does anyone else here sail bytes??

I am trying to purchase a used Laser and get into racing but I've been sailing a Santana 2023c for the past 11 years. Its been a bumpy ride with several broken masts and ballast tank issues, but I've learned a lot about boat repair in the process. http://www.santana2023.com/Toms2023c is all about my boat, hull #100

Big wind, short boards. No wind, powerboat. Race wind, Ericson 33 in PHRF and now, laser. It's all good.

previously we had a swan 48R, currently I'm sailing as navigator on a cookson 50. the boat just arrived from NZ. we're all pretty excited for this season aboard PRIVATEER

Well I sail Laser Fullt ime but in the Breaks Race on a Hot Foot 20, and a Santana 23, recently i had the opportunity to race on a Sun Fast 37 Down in the Heineken Regatta all i can say is wow that is an amazing regatta.

Back