What do you guys think about this laser...

Hi Tristan,

yes, with trailer and parts probly worth 1000 to 1200. Should be able to title trailer thru BMV process.

Older lasers rock!

No information on the condition of the hull is given - any soft spots, holes, cracks, leaks, etc. If the hull is in reasonably good shape then it seems like a fair deal. The hull is the most important item unless you are just buying it for parts. A defect in anything besides the hull can be corrected without much expense, and even some hull defects can be fixed without too much trouble. If you buy it I strongly recommend reinforcing the mast step. A search here will show how.

It's frustrating when ads don't mention the most important piece of information, that is, the sail/hull number! I would ask that, and the hull id number if there is one. Did the seller say the boat is from 1972? How does he know? (The hull colour sure is extremely 1970ish.)

I would also take the logo of a well-known fake-part provider as a warning sign: is there really anything Laser on the boat except the hull itself?

If it were me, I'd pour water into the mast step before making an offer.
I agree w Rob Hair that you should reinforce the mast step pretty quickly anyway, but if it leaks down you'll know you want/need to do it almost right away, and that'd be a easily visible negotiating point with the seller.

Regarding the Intensity logo on the blade bag - I wouldn't take that as a sure shot that everything is non-class-legal. But I'd add a couple thoughts -
1. if you're serious about racing, a '70's boat is not gonna do it. It'll be a good 1st step, stepping stone, but you won't be competitive in it.
2. I + many here have bought lots of stuff from Intensity + APS and I think it's fair to say that the great majority of us - certainly me - we're pretty / very happy with the quality of what they sell.
3. I don't race at all, purely recreational, so don't take my word for this. I've heard that many local clubs/races are OK with Intensity sails etc for their local races. So you "might" be alright for the occasional / local race. But again ask at the club where you might race, please don't take my word as truth.

In general I'd say it's a pretty good buy, unless there's some fatal flaw in the hull. I have the exact same trailer, and a similar vintage boat (early 70's), bought in ~1993. My trailer also had no title but the Ohio BMV registered it back then with a minimum of aggravation and of course renewal is a no-brainer.

If you're just looking for recreational sailing and pure fun, and old Laser is about the best ratio of fun-to-expense there is, in my opinion. But you'll definitely want to reinforce that mast step before you take it out in much more than a pretty gentle breeze. The preventive reinforcement is WAY easier than the after-the-fall repair, cuz the mast rips up the deck as it falls over.

although the spars and trailer are worth something, I think you could get a better deal on that laser or find a better laser.

I sold one of my old lasers for not much more than that, with everything you see in the picture. If you find one like that, you have the option to race if you want to, you probably won't want to race a 70's laser against newer lasers.

You can also find hulls of that age and probably much newer that people just want to get rid of. Maybe put in a wanted add for old lasers?

Attachments

• DSC_0069.JPG
    DSC_0069.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 50
Great information. I was going to use it for recreational. I have a 1978 Sunfish that I use and was looking for more performance which is why I'm looking into a Laser 1. I was also thinking of a Laser 2, would be nice for the extra room and expertise of working both the main and jib. It would be mostly just me on the boat. But I really want performance and I heard in high winds the Laser 1 keeps going and the Laser 2 gets overpowered. Plus the Portsmouth numbers shows the Laser 1 having a lower number.

Ok I'll check the hull for soft spots, holes, cracks, leaks, etc. when I go see it tonight. I pour water into the mast step(where the mast fits into) and if it leaks down onto the ground should I still buy? Or it just means the mast step really needs reinforcement. Where and what on the hull can I check to see that it is an authentic Laser 1? What do I look for?

-Tristan

Pour water into the mast step. If it leaks, the water will slowly (or maybe not so slowly:)) leak into the interior of the hull, indicated by the water level going down. That means that the step has worn to the point there is a hole or crack - bad. That's still not too hard to fix, but you should get a substantially lower price. Even if it doesn't leak I strongly recommend that you reinforce it.

It's an authentic Laser. The other poster was referring to the sail, foils, etc.

I was also thinking of a Laser 2, would be nice for the extra room and expertise of working both the main and jib. It would be mostly just me on the boat.
If you're sailing by yourself, you get a singlehander. If you get a doublehander, you need a friend. Simple as that.

But I really want performance and I heard in high winds the Laser 1 keeps going and the Laser 2 gets overpowered. Plus the Portsmouth numbers shows the Laser 1 having a lower number
It's a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Or rather, grapes and grapefruit. They have similar names, too.

Where and what on the hull can I check to see that it is an authentic Laser 1? What do I look for?
The sail/hull number is moulded in the deck under the bow fitting. There should be a manufacturer's plaque or sticker on the back wall of the cockpit. There may be a hull production number moulded in the transom as well.

It's an authentic Laser. The other poster was referring to the sail, foils, etc.
Exactly - it's highly unlikely that the hull itself is fake. If you don't race at all, then there's no legal problem with the other equipment, but it still means you should pay less if you're not getting a class-legal boat.

Great information. I was going to use it for recreational. I have a 1978 Sunfish that I use and was looking for more performance which is why I'm looking into a Laser 1. I was also thinking of a Laser 2, would be nice for the extra room and expertise of working both the main and jib. It would be mostly just me on the boat. But I really want performance and I heard in high winds the Laser 1 keeps going and the Laser 2 gets overpowered. Plus the Portsmouth numbers shows the Laser 1 having a lower number.

Ok I'll check the hull for soft spots, holes, cracks, leaks, etc. when I go see it tonight. I pour water into the mast step(where the mast fits into) and if it leaks down onto the ground should I still buy? Or it just means the mast step really needs reinforcement. Where and what on the hull can I check to see that it is an authentic Laser 1? What do I look for?

-Tristan

You'll definitely notice the difference between a laser and sunfish, even a real old laser as long as it's not completely full of water

The laser is a simple boat that you'll have fun on whether your 6 or 65, it planes and responds to every movement you make. It's easy to capsize especially when you first start out on the laser, but you might find capsizing in a laser fun! Lasers are nearly impossible to sink, even completely compromised and full of water.

You can fit two adults on a laser no problem, just not for racing, when I was a teenager we sailed an old laser with 3-4 people, I almost always sailed it double handed back then. If you want a 2 person boat with a jib, check out the Vanguard 15. They are easier to find and in better condition than most laser 2's, they sail pretty much like a laser.

... and I heard in high winds the Laser 1 keeps going and the Laser 2 gets overpowered ...

One of the things I like best about my old Laser is that for a few $100 bucks, I bought the radial and 4.7 sails and lower mast sections. So when the wind goes up, I can power down. I'm ~165 lbs + 60 yrs old and I can sail in wind up to like 30kts.

Back