What do you eat after a sail?

Chainsaw

Brmmm Brmmm
What do you eat and drink after sailing? Do you wait till you get home, or chow on the foreshore?

I'm a banana, water, oaty bar type person. Usually soon as I get the boat on the dolly and the rig down.

I've noticed others in the club go for a cigarette and a beer. Surprisingly, they are fast sailors. (I once read a book that said during a run was a good time to have a smoke.)

Hey, I've just thought that some of you may even eat while on the water. Now that is freaky. Squirrelling away supplies inside the hull. Is that the real reason "inspection" hatches became popular?

What do you eat and drink after sailing?

Anything I can find!!!!

Usually beer and a packet of crisps.:)

If you have time to eat, drink or have a fag (this means smoking for our American friends) on the water then you should be trying harder.

The eating and drinking while on the water is done between races, as opposed to during.

I usually keep a protein bar in the pocket of my life jacket, and a bottle of water tied to the back of the cockpit.

I've noticed others in the club go for a cigarette and a beer. Surprisingly, they are fast sailors. (I once read a book that said during a run was a good time to have a smoke.)

It is possible (and proven by some of the better sailors I know) that smoking downwind is very effective and fast. reson being, is that it relaxes you and makes catching waves easier (could this be the newest speed upgrade). I have yet to try it as I don't smoke but for those of you who do, try it. Then post a reply with your resluts.

I eat whatever I have stashed in my truck. That might be a clif bar, a Peanut Butter and Jelly, a piece of fruit. If it's a regatta then it will include a beer, as I pack a six pack of beer per day to share with close by Masters sailors.

...could this be the newest speed upgrade...?
think you could be right. The ILCA is currently reviewing these upgrade “turbo kits”:

For standard rig:

upgrade1.jpg

For 4.7 rig:

upgrade2.jpg

Retails at about NZ$9.80.

I usually have a sports drink and chips (fries for you American's here).

I always take water with me when sailing, and usually drink it on the downwind legs. Ocassionally we have jelly-beans and muesli bars stashed inside the hull.

OliLaser - one of the best sailors in my class smokes like a chimney and he has a reputation for smoking on the downwind legs. Maybe that explains why he's always out in front, and has won Masters four years in a row. :p

So smoking makes you relaxed a go faster eh?
I like the image of running with a plume of smoke trailing me. Like a parachute display team.

Can't stand the idea of smoking though. Maybe i'll start with a couple of those patches, try the nicotine gum and gradually build my way up to a cigarete.

after i sail i go down the street to the gas station and get a cuban sandwich and an Arizona Southern Style Sweet Tea. Its one of my favorite meals.

while sailing i usually go for a gatorade or water and a chewy bar.

yea i gees you can say inspection ports became popular for stashing away the food. lol:) i eat penuts while out on the water their a good source of protine and carbs. easy to store as well if you get a small bag tuck it right in on your life jacket. try not to eat salted nuts as they will make you thirsty but if you must, bring water, cold beer, pop, red bull (gives you wings):), gatorade, etc.

but if you must, bring water, cold beer, pop, red bull (gives you wings):), gatorade, etc.

The skiffies at my club love their beer so much that on many occasion after a capsize, instead of pulling the boat up quickly and continuing on with the race, the skipper can be heard shouting at the crew to swim after the many bottles of beer that are floating away down the river. :D

instead of pulling the boat up quickly and continuing on with the race, the skipper can be heard shouting at the crew to swim after the many bottles of beer that are floating away down the river. :D

I like that, sounds like good times. you wouldnt be hearin anything like that around my yacht club waters so disghuting its like swimming in dieseases, probably melt the bottle.

ideally i would have pie & chips after a sail, accompanied by as many beers as seems appropriate :)

speaking of beers, i have often found my sunday morning performance at regattas to be surprisingly good... until i sober up anyway :p

Back