What do I look for?

campfire32

Hey all,

Similarily to others, I'm a big boat sailor that wants to get into the small boat fun. What do I look for in a boat? I'm sure I don't want a Laser II, but there seem to be other choices in rig etc...I want to buy the right boat for me.

Are you going to race? If so what classes race at the club you intend to sail at? Do you want to race with a crew or are you going to only occassionally use the boat two up? What do you weigh? How windy is it where you sail at the time you would be sailing? How big do the waves get? What facilities do you have to launch from?

Darryn said:
Are you going to race? If so what classes race at the club you intend to sail at? Do you want to race with a crew or are you going to only occassionally use the boat two up? What do you weigh? How windy is it where you sail at the time you would be sailing? How big do the waves get? What facilities do you have to launch from?

Yes, I'll be racing. Want to rely on myself only, weigh about 170lbs, I'm not sure about classes raced-are you referring to Laser or Laser II? Average winds are 5-10kts with small wave action and lauching is no problem at my club. Awesom reply, these are the questions I need to know.

if you are racing it yourself then there is no question that the boat should/must be a Laser.

Laser II is a 2 man boat and while you can sail it solo under light winds you will not be competitive in a race situation as you will not be able to fly a chute, steer and control the mainsail all at once. Besides the LII is a dead boad as the trend now for the youth category is to go to a 29er a smaller version of the 49er.

Back