what boats do you sail

What boats Do you sail?

• Total voters
Proud 2 annouce now that i own a laser radial and a laser and have raced on a 420 (i just ogt my laser and radial rig today!!!!!! My sail number is 5530.

how about a laser-like hull topped off with sloop rig, carbon sprit and large a-kite? it's at full power in 10 kts.... anyone who wants to give the Viper640 a try in Marblehead, send me a note at [email protected] - and definitely take a look at viper640.org

420 For the time being, but once my hull is painted I'll be moving back in to my radial :).

David said:
420 For the time being, but once my hull is painted I'll be moving back in to my radial :).

David - How are you painting your hull? mine needs it too - previous owner did it awfully!

viper640 said:
David - How are you painting your hull? mine needs it too - previous owner did it awfully!

Awlgrip. It's expensive, but it has an amazing finish. Here's some pictures of the hull from last year, I'm using the same colors this year.

http://img15.echo.cx/img15/69/david0794vu.jpg
http://img15.echo.cx/img15/9133/david0805zs.jpg

If anybody wants to talk to me on MSN about restoring a Laser, feel free to add me. This will be the third time I've restored a laser, so I have a little experience :)

Laser, Laser 2, 125, Hobie 16 - they're not all mine, I don't have that many boats. lol. I own a Laser 2 and sail Lasers and Hobie 16s with my club and race a 125.

3 Lasers (all old and standard rig), a 1958 BobCat catamaran being restored, a very old Tornado KC6, and i wish I still had my 505.

Murphs said:
now thats a fleet!

My Wife has asked "how many boats does one family need?" if somone would be willing to fund the project I am willing to do the research and come up with a difinitive #.

The bobcat was my Dad's bought in 1965 the Tornado is also his bought in 75 One laser is mine bought in 81 one I bought for my son last year (#1488) and another followed me home this year when my 80 year old uncle decided he was to old to sail anymore and wanted to find his boat a good home.

So...not rich just lucky

Laser76489 said:
3 Lasers (all old and standard rig), a 1958 BobCat catamaran being restored, a very old Tornado KC6, and i wish I still had my 505.

My wife and I each have a laser and I bought an international-14 a few years back with a friend of mine. To those of you who have sailed 505's, how are they?

I am definitely considering dropping the I-14 for a 505. Noone will ever sail it with me cuz it's broken 50% of the time, upside down 50% when not not broken, and takes an hour to rig.

I've never gotten the boat up to speed and I think that a used 505 would be a much better boat. We have an annual drag race at our club and while I lapped the entire fleet one year in the I-14, I have spent every year since upside down watching a fleet of really slow boats sail on by. Speed is useless if you can't control it...

Anyway, any opinions of the 505?

MDsailor170758 said:
My wife and I each have a laser and I bought an international-14 a few years back with a friend of mine. To those of you who have sailed 505's, how are they?

I am definitely considering dropping the I-14 for a 505. Noone will ever sail it with me cuz it's broken 50% of the time, upside down 50% when not not broken, and takes an hour to rig.

I've never gotten the boat up to speed and I think that a used 505 would be a much better boat. We have an annual drag race at our club and while I lapped the entire fleet one year in the I-14, I have spent every year since upside down watching a fleet of really slow boats sail on by. Speed is useless if you can't control it...

Anyway, any opinions of the 505?

Check out the 505 home page its very good. Its got a great article about the boats and the people. I enjoyed mine and would still have it but I ran short of cash and needed to sell or buy out my partner who wanted to race lasers....so I sold and raced lasers for a while. http://leirtech.com/505sail/505links.html

Lots of fun....old boats are cheap new not so cheap... If you are serious let me know and I will put you in touch with some people that can help you look for a boat. The class is very suportive and lots of fun.

The 505 is an awesome boat. It's comfortable, fast and quick to rig if you have it all rigged under the cover. It has a pretty big sail area so it needs a large crew in heavy wind. You can rig them with double trap. that is one hell of a ride (not class legal though). If you're looking for a used boat look for a launcher boat, the bag boats are a bit of a pain.

Due to limited time I can only stick w/one class at a time. My focus over the past years has been J24, JY15, J22 and now back to the Laser for the 4th time in 20 years.

i have laser full rig also minisail and an enterprise jack holt 14 foot 2 man dinghy id like a merlin rocket and a steel yacht please santa

Back