What boat is this?

Kitecop

hello forum. I an an avid kitesurfer and am looking to get into sailing now. Been looking for a sunfish and came across this boat. I dont know the make or anything about it. Was hoping someone on here would recognize it.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

hello forum. I an an avid kitesurfer and am looking to get into sailing now. Been looking for a sunfish and came across this boat. I dont know the make or anything about it. Was hoping someone on here would recognize it.

Workin' on it...:)

As a kitesurfer, wouldn't this boat, a Kitetender400 (shown "jumping") be more suitable for you?

lift-off.jpg

Quoted excerpt from website:

"Its the next FUN factor to sailing, just in a straight, simple and highly accessible hull, from ground up designed for kitesailing within a reasonable budget, while other kiteboat projects are much too complicated. And of course, you could create a faster hull for it and add heeling control system, but then a kiteboat will not be easy yet to sail properly. In the Kitetender400 concept:

Speeding a monohull over 20 knots
  • first kiteboat that can tack!
  • Fast turnings, even downloop, possible
  • 2 to Tango
  • Jumping?
  • upwind planing!
  • or start at a beach at the NorthSea and pass all waves."
From watching videos, this kind of sailing requires a lot more attention than most sailing. :eek:

(Too much like WORK...!) :confused:

There were a lot of boats of this type made from 1970 - 80. Do you have the mainsail and does the mainsail have a logo on it? If so, post a photo of the logo and we can figure it out.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

There were a lot of boats of this type made from 1970 - 80. Do you have the mainsail and does the mainsail have a logo on it? If so, post a photo of the logo and we can figure it out.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

The main sail has 3stars over what looks like an oar. Looks aftermarket as it is not sewn on only glued. Here is the manufacurers mark where the sail attaches to the gooseneck
image.jpeg

My very experienced sailing buddy has no idea. :(

A LOT of seating for a 12-footer! Best for kids? :oops:

No luck in a Google search—so need more details. (Used many keywords, including: sailingtexas, cat rigged, sailing dinghy, 12-foot, 11'-3", insignia, logo, Craigslist).

Its beam measurement? Mast length? Fitted for a boom or loose-footed? Daggerboard or centerboard? What's the metal gizmo behind the 'board trunk?

Rigged for a jib? The website's ad where you learned of it? The dog's name? :confused:

There was a boat called the Sparkler built by Ellies Boat Works. The length is listed as 11'-0", beam of 3'-0". Your boat looks a little wider than 3' though. How wide is your boat?

Could it be a vagabond 14?

Definitely not any of the versions of the "Vagbond 14." Those all looked very similar to each other and I have one. Main difference in the versions' hulls is in the ones with daggerboard vs swing keel.

Vagabond 14-Holder 14-Hobie One 14 Guide

Daggerboard hull
http://www.sailingtexas.com/Pics/picvagabond14105b.jpg

Hobie One or Holder 14 (Vagabond 14 late production with swing keel)
Hobie Holder 14 sailboat for sale

Finding a good pic of the swing keel version interior proved a little more difficult than I expected

My very experienced sailing buddy has no idea. :(

A LOT of seating for a 12-footer! Best for kids? :oops:

No luck in a Google search—so need more details. (Used many keywords, including: sailingtexas, cat rigged, sailing dinghy, 12-foot, 11'-3", insignia, logo, Craigslist).

Its beam measurement? Mast length? Fitted for a boom or loose-footed? Daggerboard or centerboard? What's the metal gizmo behind the 'board trunk?

Rigged for a jib? The website's ad where you learned of it? The dog's name? :confused:

The beam is 4'5"
The mast is 14'6"
It has a jib and wood boom, dagger and tiller.
I bought the boat and the guy i got it from knows nothing about it. I have figured out that the gooseneck on it is from a hobie cat. I'm gonna upload some more detailed pics.
image.jpeg

Good catch, sailcraftri and S.T.Demon!

More info:

ELLIE'S BOAT WORKS, IMC. is a Florida Profit Corporation. Company Number assigned to this company is 240959. US Federal EIN/TIN number of this company is 59-0913776. Last event in this company was registered on Friday 3rd September 1976 - is forty years, four months and sixteen days ago. ELLIE'S BOAT WORKS, IMC. was incorporated on Saturday 1st February 1964 so company age is fifty-two years, eleven months and seventeen days. The company registration status is INACTIVE.

Neat little 40-year-old boat. What's the chance of seeing another one—much less, racing a second one? :confused:

Just noticed—sail area 36 square feet! :eek:

Question for adminstrators:

1) Haven't seen an N/A in "last message" before. Although a defunct Sunfish dealer is mentioned, this thread is apparently being moved by
moderator(s), but where to?

Back