what are those thing on the masts of the laser worlds boats?

macwas16

if you look at the pictures in the links to the laser worlds that bradley posted, what are those sleave like things attached to the bottom mast section? they are blue and yellow and i dont know what they are. also, who supplied all those boats? does vanguard just let them use them for tyhe worlds then sell them?? could i buy one?? well any answer to any of my questions would be greatly appreciated.

I think these are coloured strips of sailcloth attached to the mast by rubber bands. They identify which fleet the sailor is in

Blue/Yellow Bands

The yellow and blue bands designate the fleet the sailor is in for that day. These change daily, the scoring program recalculates the new class designation. Each sailor is required to return his color daily and pick up a new color designation every morning.

During the Masters, each sailor is given a color for the entire regatta based upon their age. Hope this helps.

Color bands on base of masts

At the Masters in Hyannis the SIs said you would be charged $15 if you didn't return that small piece of colored spin cloth. I can't think what they will do with 300 small pieces of spin cloth. :) With the $190 entry fee you would think they would let you throw it away yourself rather then have them do it.

Colored Fleet Designators

Well this may seem like a little thing but the color class designators were actually pretty expensive. We wanted to get them back so we could use them again for Opti fleet colors. Just trying to save ourselves a few bucks. Perhaps you can tell I am a New Englander....

World Sails

I got a new sail (and boat!). The sail is from the worlds and has blue corners. The sail was not used there but the dealer said it was left over from the worlds. I think it looks cool but [b:d5e3b4de5e]what is it???

[/b:d5e3b4de5e]:roll: :mrgreen:

Re: Colored Fleet Designators

[quote:80cc1114e7="pjohns3"]Well this may seem like a little thing but the color class designators were actually pretty expensive. We wanted to get them back so we could use them again for Opti fleet colors. Just trying to save ourselves a few bucks. Perhaps you can tell I am a New Englander....[/quote:80cc1114e7]

Thanks for the info. I am glad they are being put to good use.

justlaxin--- if you sail a radial (which im assuming you do, if you got a boat from the worlds, b/c i dont think they're selling the fullrig ones yet) then the blue corners mean its a mk6 instead of a mk5. mk6 is the new kind... the blue corners are how they tell its a radial in europe, or so ive heard. theres more in the sailing and racing board under radial sails...
if you dont sail a radial, then i have no clue what it is, and im curious too :D

kendall

Thanks!

I do sail a radial. I had a race today and I asked one of the kids there. he said pretty much what you said. They are the new make/model.

:lol: 8) :lol: 8) :lol:

ummm...k

thats exactly what they are. if you feel the difference in the corner pieces from a mk5 and an mk6 (blue corners) you'll feel that the blue corners are a lot bulkier. it is just so it doesn't stretch as much and it gives more support.

Back