What about the Super Sunfish?

H2oPaul

Today I was sailing my Sunfish when a guy pulls a Super Sunfish sail and rigs it on the boat and gives it for me to try it out. have to say that was some fast crazzy heeling fun. corse the winds wer crazzy as well at that moment. so it left me wondring, how much would a good condition supersunfish sail with bouth booms and the mast all in grate condition cost? does any of you know where the best price to buy the super sunfish upgrade be? if there is such thing anymore. my avatar picture is me today on that crazzy super sunfish. :D :D :D :D

According to Sunfish history the Super was obsoleted about 20 odd years ago.

There were a couple of whole boats for sale here and on Ebay not too long ago. If I remember right the seller's name is Gary. Look in the For Sale section. He posts different boats every so often.

The Super rig appears as an add on too. I read that some sailing school was unloading several awhile back. Hunt around the different Sunfish sites you may still find one.

Well after trying out a laser. and having sail a super sunfish. I would have to say that the super sunfish is less of a learner and more of a fun fast inbreed. the laser was fast and super unstable. it was ok in calmer winds. i can see in the long run i would learn more about sailing with a laser. but i would also capsize alot during the prosses. so today I would like to have a supersunfish and maybe next year i would like to have what I think is the super over rated laser. to learn more about tecnical sailing and to say I had one. for now i have the sunfish and the beloved banshee.:)

pepstuge said:
Well after trying out a laser. and having sail a super sunfish. I would have to say that the super sunfish is less of a learner and more of a fun fast inbreed. the laser was fast and super unstable. it was ok in calmer winds. i can see in the long run i would learn more about sailing with a laser. but i would also capsize alot during the prosses. so today I would like to have a supersunfish and maybe next year i would like to have what I think is the super over rated laser. to learn more about tecnical sailing and to say I had one. for now i have the sunfish and the beloved banshee.:)

Good thinking!
PS: Nothing wrong with going swimming once in a while (if the water isn't too cold). As you know, Lasers come in different flavors (4.7, Radial and Full) and it will help to get the optimum rig for your weight and skill level, if you do decide to go that route.

I have seen a Super Sunfish on ebay recently. Is the "Super" the same as a typical Sunfish but with more sail area? I know the set up (mast/ single boom) is different (reminds me of a 14' Hobie I had when I was a teenager). If they use the same hull, could a Sunfish be made into a Super Sunfish, and what, if any, would be the advantages of this?

Bamafish said:
I have seen a Super Sunfish on ebay recently. Is the "Super" the same as a typical Sunfish but with more sail area? I know the set up (mast/ single boom) is different (reminds me of a 14' Hobie I had when I was a teenager). If they use the same hull, could a Sunfish be made into a Super Sunfish, and what, if any, would be the advantages of this?

Ummmm, Nevermind. After viewing the information about the Super Sunfish at "Sunfish Sailor/Yahoo" I have come to the conclusion that the "Super" is basically the same as the Sunfish but with different sail, mast, boom, coaming, and rigging. Seems complicated, (my old Hobie didn't seem that complicated to rig), think I will stick with the Sunfish instead, more bang for the buck!

Well. the super sunfish is an upgrade for the sunfish sailboat. and some times you can run into the used kit for cheap. in that case you have your sunfish and a rig to convert it to a super sunfish giving you something a little more stable then the laser but alot more tec to learn how to sail in. after sailing the Latin rig. at some point you may want to try your hand at a marconi rig/ super sunfish :cool:

Im sory but im not looking for a supersunfish. I was interested in finding out what it would cost to buy the sail and mast to turn my sunfish into a super sunfish. I have 3 sailboats and no room for another. super sunfish dont come round often so you should be able to sale it no problem.

Back