Whaddy'all reckon this book is worth?

Cactus Cowboy

My pop the submarine commander had this book, I'm thinking he bought it at some used book store, or maybe came across it at the Academy during his time there? It's a nautical phrase book, English to Spanish & vice versa, and I'm thinking he bought it (or somehow scored it, perhaps through drunken gambling with fellow midshipmen) to use whenever he entered a Spanish port, or a port where most of the population spoke Spanish. The book is classic, and I've shown it to several good friends over the years, always getting a good laugh out of it, but it struck me that someone else may be able to put this book to good use, even if the phrases & expressions are rather DATED, LOL. The book was published in 1919, and both my parents (now deceased) were born in 1926, so I like to think that my pop was wandering around one rainy day, bummed because he was nearly broke on an ensign's or lieutenant's pay, and he walked into a used book shop and started looking at the shelves... only to discover this rare book with all the answers whenever it came to entering a Spanish port, LOL. Well, except the part about hailing a hooker... I'm sure most USN sailors & officers already knew that one, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Damn... :confused:

ANYWAY, CHECK OUT THIS BOOK, WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT IF IT WERE THE LAST ONE IN EXISTENCE, AND IT'S NOW WORTH $10.7 MILLION DOLLARS? LOL... :eek:

IMG_0956.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG

IMG_0970.JPG

IMG_0971.JPG

IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0969.JPG

IMG_0959.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG

IMG_0972.JPG

IMG_0973.JPG

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG

IMG_0975.JPG

How CLASSIC is that table right inside the front cover, the "Table of Corresponding Ranks in Different Navies?" That was obviously put up front so one could tell whether he outranked the sod to whom he was speaking, and could therefore put a boot up his @$$, LOL. And check out the CLASSIC phrases, I'm thinking maybe it's all a gag from back in the day, and a phrase which supposedly extends some naval courtesy actually says: "GO F#% YOURSELF!!!" Or perhaps: "YOUR GRANDMOTHER WEARS ARMY BOOTS!!!" Damn, sometimes I slay myself... hey, at some point this book was up for sale for one thin dime, may have been during the Depression Era, AYE??? And someone named Gilbert owned the book at some point, as you can see in that last photo... Mr. Gilbert probably long dead by now, as both my parents are dead. Anyway, whaddy'all think of this unusual book? Do ya suppose it's worth anything? To a private party or perhaps a museum? Maybe the USNA itself? I suppose I should send an email to that academy, just in case some admiral wants the book for his collection... maybe he'll pony up some righteous cash for it, LOL. Meh, just figured I'd throw it out there to rattle your cages, AYE??? ;)

NOW I'M OFF TO WATCH SOME ENTERTAINMENT, JUST WANTED TO TOSS THAT ONE YER WAY TO SEE WHAT Y'ALL THINK ABOUT IT... A BOOK OVER A HUNDRED YEARS OLD, WITH SOME UNUSUAL NAUTICAL FLAVOR, LOL. HASTA LUEGO, NAVAL HEE-ROES!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :cool:

P.S. Whaddya make of that "Deo" stamp or writing on the cover... God in Spanish, right? Or is it "Dea?" I don't think the DEA was around back in 1919, so drugs are out, LOL. Maybe God is a woman. Is that some used book store's way of saying the book was paid for by the customer? Did God read the phrase book and put it to good use, then autograph the book or slap a stamp on it for good measure? You religious whack jobs out there, now's your chance to SHINE, LOL... I want a DETAILED REPORT on my GODDAM DESK by 0800 tomorrow, AYE??? :D

Attachments

• IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Wait, I have it... someone was about to write a "Dear John" or "Dear Julia" letter on the cover of the book, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Then a bullet interrupted the author, or maybe some combat incident led to unfinished business... we'll NEVER know, LOL. ;)

CHEERS, YOU PINCHE MARINEROS!!! LOOK THAT ONE UP IN THE GODDAM BOOK, LOL... :eek:

Pretty cool, especially the hand-written pages and the history of that book’s imagined travels. Dio may remain a mystery (God is Dios), so I’ll go with the bullet-dodging story!
I just googled the title- looks like that book was published through 1925. There are a few copies for sale, all at $40.

Last edited:
Googling the title... now why didn't I think of that? LOL... jeez, my 'oldster' is showing!!! ;)

And I could've sworn "Deo" was God in SOME language... maybe Eyetalian??? :confused:

I found some more info, here we go... :D

IMG_0980.JPG
IMG_0981.JPG

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

First copyright date, 1914... Holy Mackerel!!! This must be the 2nd Edition then, at 1919? Look at the cool paper up close in that last pic, and the awesome calligraphy for 'The Lord Baltimore Press!!!' That alone has to be worth $40, LOL. Meh, I was hoping that this little phrase book would be worth MILLIONS, but trust some FRIGGIN' HOARDERS to botch my literary & financial dream, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Damn... I hate it when that happens!!! :rolleyes:

AH, WELL, THIS HOT CRANBERRY DRINK IS PRETTY TASTY... RAN OUT OF HERBAL TEA & COCOA, HAVEN'T BEEN TO THE STORE YET. NO ICE IN THE BIRDBATH THIS MORNING, BUT IT'S STILL DAMNED COLD OUT THERE, MUST BE 33 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT, LOL. :cool:

Edit: Hmm, not far off, a preliminary web search indicated that "Deo" has something to do with God in Latin. Bonus points for CC!!! ;)

Hey, I Googled the title and those booksellers are showing the 1925 edition with the blue cover, and the title is higher on the cover as well... maybe my reddish-orange 1919 edition is STILL worth MILLIONS, WOOOHOOO!!! I'm hangin' on to my dream, DAMMIT!!! Malibu, here I come!!! :D

Last edited:

Back