Wet Suits

dbob3d

Hello Again Everyone. Since the replies on this forum seem timely and knowledgeable, I will continue to badger you guys with questions.

I'm looking into buying a wetsuit for sailing. Here in New York, the weather is never sailing friendly, and I'm always hypothermia prone (Especially after a capsize). Do you guys recommend a neoprene wet suit? Full or Shorty? Will the wetsuit work out of the water to keep me warm?

Let me know what works before I pay for one.

A wetsuit with full legs and an attached spray jacket should do the job, the upper portion of the wet suit is sleeveless. This is a less expensive option than a dry suit. This suit will keep you warm in or out of the water. With the attached spray jacket you can wear anything from a t-shirt to a heavy fleece under it.

Here in New York, the weather is never sailing friendly,

Where in NY are you - up by Canada? Sailors at the North Americans on Long Island report they nearly melted in the heat!

I think in the summer you will massively overheat in a wetsuit. Otherwise, the suggestion given is good, although you will not find many people using wetsuits to sail anymore. A pair of neoprene hiking pants that go below the knee, combined with a good, close-to-waterproof spray top from Gill or Zhik, will keep you quite warm and give more physical flexibility and comfort. Drysuits are common once November hits, but before November you would not be happy baking in your drysuit!!

BB

Back