wet hull with loose foam

walnut

I cut a hole in my SF. It is wet. I have a couple of big chunks that are out of place. I tried to put them back where they belong. No luck. I am under the understanding that I can just dry it out and be ok with the Styrofoam like it is. Can someone comment? This is a boat to learn on, not a “forever boat”.

I got a boat a few years back, the foam is loose and I just sail her the way she is.
She may not be pretty but I’ve learned that having an ugly boat, I don’t mind dragging her across the beach,ding or dents while loading unloading don’t bother me one bit.
I do have another project boat that I’m “working on”, but as for this one I’d rather spend the time on the water. When the other boat is done. I’ll pass her on.

Dry her out, use some spray foam to secure the foam if you like. Get on the water and enjoy. Now if tinkering is why you got the boat in the first place we’ll then you’ll find plenty of members willing to advise.

Good luck have fun

If you are a racer, you'll want to pour new foam in to cement the blocks in place. This prevents flexing, which can slow you down a tiny bit.

But the flex is a useful feature. When pounding across chop, it makes a booming sound, like a drum.
This will warn children and small dogs to get the hell away from the boat ramp when you are coming in. It is the boom of inpending doom, that the "no swimming" sign near the ramp should not be ignored.

sorry but dissagree that a flexing hull is a slow hull. Yrs ago had an old lightweight hull and during a regatta the 2 fwd blocks fell over. The hull pumped air in a big chop--via inspection ports. In the same conditions as a previous race. the flexing hull just flew--very fast and passed guys that I had never passed. It was an apples to apples comparrison.

Back