Wessex (England) GP event

madyottie

Apprentice
Just a quick note for any of the Wessex Grand Prix sailors hoping to attend the Thornbury event on June 17.

The Actual GP is on September 3, although the club is hosting an open class regatta on 17 & 18 June, so if you want to test the waters, feel free to come along!:p

But to re-iterate, the Wessex GP is not at Thornbury on June 17.:mad:

Oh, and as an aside... we have the second highest tidal range in the world, with 40feet top to bottom, and it flows at around 8 knots on the fastest days! Dont say we didnt warn ya!;)

madyottie said:
Oh, and as an aside... we have the second highest tidal range in the world, with 40feet top to bottom, and it flows at around 8 knots on the fastest days! Dont say we didnt warn ya!;)

Holy smokes! I think the Bay of Fundy is first in New Brunswick, Canada. Been there and it is awesome. I didn't have a boat then, but saw that the people who owned commercial fishing boats just let them go up and down with the tide. When the tide was out boats were laying on the ocean floor in the harbor.

How the heck do you sail with an 8 knot current?

(Answer? Very carefully)

When I first arrived here I thought I'd laid the windward mark and tacked out into the rip, needless to say I'd totally misjudged the tide, and after beating against the full flow of tide for AGES in about 20 knots of wind in a fireball, was further downwind than when I started! I soon learned that the only way is to tack right up the edgewhere the flow is less, then make a mad dash out to the buoy! When the tide is making with the wind, it seems very gentle, but once the tide turns, thats another 16knots of wind over the deck! BIG waves, too!;)

I think you're right about the place in canada, and all the keelboat sailors in our club have that same issue, when the tide is out, they're a long way up the mud!

Back