Weights

alexloz

Hey everyone!

Im kinda new in the sport and im looking at getting a laser but im not sure weather or not to get a full rig or a radial becuase of my weight. I've been told that in storng wind the full is hard to control but in light win the radial goes no where. I weigh about 170 pounds and im about 6'1. my weight fluctuated from winter to summer.

Thanks for your input.

alex

If you are going for easy, then yea, the Radial will be easier. If your intent is to eventually step up to the full rig, then I would encourage you to start on the full rig. I'm pretty sure there might be some here that wil disagree with me and that's fine.

My point is that while it may be harder to learn on the full rig, it will be worth the extra effort for a couple reasons... first, you will be forced to learn how to use the Laser's sail controls in order to de-power the sail. In the radial you will likely not be forced to do this. Second, there is a larger community of sailors that use the full rig, and as such you will have a larger community of individuals to sail with.

unless you're sailing somwhere that is windy 15+ kts most of the time, a full rig will be just fine for your weight and size

Full rig if you want to be competitive in most wind conditions but radial if you just want to have fun.

u r definately going to want a full rig, according to certain dealers a
4.7 sail is 100-140 lbs
Radial is 140-160 lbs
Full rig is 160-190 lbs (recommended for optimum speed but if exceeded whatever)
Finn is 220-280

i would suggest getting both Full rig and radial because while getting used to a laser i high winds it will be helpful to have something easy to control. or if it's just blowing like 40 knots then youy could rig up radial and laugh at anybody who didn't go out because of extreme wind conditions.

Crazysailor

Back