Weighted Centerboard?

Personally, I would opt for reefing the mainsail and/or installing a jib furler for single-handing during heavy winds. The C-14 sails pretty well with reduced sail area, and unlike adding large amounts of weight for stability, this option is easily reversible.
This seems the best to me as well, the other option reminds me of my buddy in Kentucky, he bought a Toyota pick up and the ride was too harsh for him so he 1/2 filled the bed with sand bags.

2016 Update on the Weighted centerboard.
The boat has been in water since '09 and there are no delamination or other issues with centerboard. There are a few barnacles on boat and cb.

I am moving to a Catalina 16.5K or C. Which means I will have to do another weighted centerboard if I do not get the keel. The 14.6 has become too small for 5 passengers. I will use copper core this time to prevent rust. You cannot cover Stainless unless you want it to weep and rust.

@Solarfry, I am considering building weighted centerboard for my capri 14.2, curious if you ever got around to copper core vs steel, and where you found source for copper plate. Thx.

Its been a few yrs since i built that weighted keel core centerboard. Boat was bottom painted and left at a marina in salt water for two years w centerboard down. Only thing happen was one barnacle on drain plug. Zero problems. My daughter Used Micron CSC bottom paint.

Copper is way more expensive. You can double Galvanize steel if you are worried about it or you can put several coats of epoxy (not fiberglass) before lamination and use the same epoxy on fiberlass cloth laminates. Copy existing centerboard so it will fit in centerboard housing. Many keel boats used bare pig iron and just haul every 2 yrsand fair it w epoxy. If you aregoing to keep it on a trailer, There wiil be no reson for extra expense.

I did get a C165K. There are pix at the yahoo groups c165 site.

Last edited:
So my best solution to the stability issue is to keep my 200 lb gut intact! Hiking out and having an instinctive feel for the helm and mainsheet are key. That will come with experiance. The more you sail under windy conditions the better you will get. And having a set of reef points installed made a big difference. I also devised a way to hoist / lower the jib while underway, very useful. And finally, having the Baby Bob on top guarantees an easier recovery if the dreaded knockdown does happen. I would be concerned about having a heavier keelboard. First, the boat was not designed for the weight at the mounting point, secondly I would be unsure if the pulley system that hoists the board would be able to handle the weight of a heavier keel.

The methods I use to cope with frisky winds are:
1. Had reef points installed in the main. You can't reef while underway but it's easy to set up prior to. Also had the sailmaker add slugs for insertion into the mast track rather than the stock bolt rope setup, which was a pain to use.
2. Devised a simple and cheap downhaul setup to raise/lower jib while underway. A thin line running through any kind of sheave (fastened to the bow plate) runs opposed to the halyard. The line goes through the larger sized brass hanks that I had the sailmaker install, couldn't do this with the small cheap stock plastic ones. Top of line is tied to top of jib. Keep it cleated tight whether jib is up or down, it's a poor man's roller furling setup. Bungee the jib and pull a sheet line tight and it will lay on the deck like a tube.
3. Now you can't do this work with out having a tiller lock to stay your course. Set a beam reach and let the main luff a bit while tending the jib.
4. Also have a small trolling motor which enables me to power out from the launch area and hoist/lower sails while underway. If the wind gets too strong for my liking I have the option of dropping sails and just motoring around. Super windy days can become stressful!
5. And the boomkicker is also needed. Fiberglass rods that keep the boom up while you bungee the main to it.
6. Get a nice little 8 lb mushroom anchor. On super windy days I have motored out and dropped anchor just to hang out and relax. Don't even take the time to set up the sails.
7. Put a swim ladder on the stern. Gives the option of being able to jump in on hot days when your lounging, or get back on board if you happen to capsize.
8. And of course the Baby Bob on top of the mast prevents turtling. It does look a bit different but the comfort of having that insurance is worth it.
9. Don't be ashamed if you have a little weight to lose. I'm 200 lb (about 20 lb over ideal) and as a single hander need every one of those pounds for ballast!
10. Practice practice practice! I'm an experianced big boat sailor, but the large sailing dinghy that she is, the Capri needs quick and instinctive reaction to tricky wind conditions. In my second season with her now I can say that a few potential knockdowns were avoided this year due to my knowledge of the boat.
Fair Winds!!