Weight to sail full rig

SkipperofVaruna

When I bought my laser it came with a brand-new full rig sail and a heavily used old m-rig (it didn't even have the halyard). My local club has laser races every Tuesday night and I haven't participated because I was told a full rig would be too much for me to handle and I didn't want to go up against people with the more modern sails using an m-rig. I weigh 147 pounds when I'm wearing all the stuff I wear when sailing. I was wondering, how heavy should I be before I use a full-rig sail? I was considering buying a radial sail for next season, but if I can use my full-rig sail I'd rather not spend money on a new sail that I could be spending on something more useful.

Thanks

Re: Weight

You should sail with the full rig since that's what you got. You will have a hard time keeping the boat flat once the wind gets above 15 mph or so. At least I do (I weigh just about the same). However, I am (very) old and just started Lasering a year ago or so.
There are some very good lightweights around, and you can become one, if you practice. And I assume you are still growing and gaining weight....

Generally i would say 170 lbs for a full rig sailor. i know some one who weighs about 135 who couldn't handle a full rig even in moderate wind. although to be honest he isn't the best sailor.

im 135 and i sail a full rig.
granted its hard to keep flat, but i havent capsized all season
take it out and mess around for a while, see if u can keep the thing over, easy answer is if u can sail it, go right ahead, if not, get a radial, wait until u can keep it over, or just get ready to get wet.

to be competitive in a Full, in all conditions, it required a minimum of 170 pounds

Back