Weight question

altair

I weigh about 140. When the wind picks up I have a hard time keeping the boat flat while going upwind. The heavier sailors go right by me in heavy air. What is the best way to compete upwind in heavy air? I really cannot add any weight so what can I do to the rig in order to compete.

Thanks.

Altair,

Get a copy of the Sunfish Bible if you do not have one. On page 119 is the start of an interview with Derrick Fries (author of Succesful Sunfish Racing, included in the SF Bible). First, he depowers the sail (Vang, tighten outhauls and then the applying/adjusting the Jens rig). He suggests in heavy air, for a person in the 130-140 wieght range, using a Jens Rig with about 20-25" of mast exposed and moving the gooseneck forward up to 15" from the tack (normal being 17-20" back). The Jens Rig is explained on page 55. Page 144 starts a interview with the Bergmans, they have a different setting for the gooseneck. Jean, the wife, sets the gooseneck as much as 24" back in heavy stuff (I think with out the Jens), and also uses the Jens (pg 150) in other conditions. Read the interviews, see what the winners are doing, try them yourself to see what works for you. Remember that most of the interviews were conducted during or before 1996 and some of the suggestions are no longer allowed (such as wearing extra weight). Good Luck

In the Windward Leg (2 issues ago IIRC) there was an article about reefing, whreby the cunningham hole effectively becomes the tack. I guess this is effective too.

Altair,

Take a look at the attached photo taken during the 2004 Worlds (I think). The sailor in the red jacket appears to have his sail reefed as Tim suggests. Note the distance between the boom and window and the little bit of sail at the forward end of the boom.

Attachments

• Ducking to clear II.jpg
    Ducking to clear II.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 80

Back