Weight problems

ryan4sail

I weigh 175 pounds and am 5 feet 4 inches tall, so i am a pretty chubby guy. I am currently sailing a radial but in light wind i get crushed. I feel like i should move to full rigs but dont think i am tall enough to hike down the boat.:mad:

Hi Ryan,

Do you sail inland or out at sea? if the water is flat (ie inland) then you should be fine with a full rig, just work on your technique and remember o hike harder than everyone else.

I have the opposite problem to you, I am 6ft1 and 84 kgs (around 185lb) so I find that with a full rig I am getting stuff in the marginal planing by the lighter weights. If is it sub planing or planing for all you should be fine in the radial it is only in the marginal that your weight will be at a significant disadvantage.

Failing that just swap rigs depending on the conditions :).

Ryan,

I'm 5'8" and 230 lbs and have only been sailing a little while, and in a full rig. I can't imagine your height being a factor in hiking out, but I am enjoying my full rig, and can at least syphanize with the chubb-factor!
:eek:

I will say that I have pretty well developed legs /back/abs, so if you haven't been working out any, now's the time to start...
;)

Every 1 inch of outboard direction you can get equals 10 lbs of righting capacity. At 5'4" you are shorter than a lot of full rig sailors, but at 175 your weight is perfect for the full rig. Get in good physical condition and loosen your hiking strap to get further outboard while hiking.

You will do fine in a full rig. I sail against a guy that is 5'9" ish and about 140. He does great in the full rig up to when I go to full hike mode. My height and weight (6'2" and 200 lbs) becomes an advantage for me. However, if I turn over going down wind.............. Weight doesn't really matter!

thanks guys i really appretiate the help. i think i might move to a full rig(our regattas are usually out in the ocean in waves)

Back