weighing

DK Sailor

I was thinking i could put the bow on a scale (i have 2 scales)and go to the stern and put it on a nother scale then add the weight.
Thanks

Put the boat on 1 scale. Place the scale under the middle of the boat and roll the boat up on its side right onto the scale. So the finished scale position will be under the gunnel of the boat while the boat is balancing on the scale.

I usualy put a 2 x 4 on the bathroom scale so I won't bust the shell. Balancing on a gunwale is easy and as accurate as the scale. My guess is the two scale method is not as accurate becauase bathroom scales are targeted for about 150 lbs and may be less accurate at extremes of their range such as 60 lbs or 300 lbs.

I quit weighing my Lasers years ago. Either they were light and I was bummed because I wasn't winning enough..or they were heavy and I forever felt slow.

I KNOW a couple pounds one way or the other makes near zero difference. I know they weigh the boats at the factory. I know they don't ship super heavy boats. So I don't check anymore

Also check for local variations in gravity.

In all seriousness, I suspect that the normal variation in the readings of uncalibrated bathroom scales will be much larger than the difference in weight between most Laser hulls. Listen to the wise words of gouvernail...ignorance is bliss.

Also check for local variations in gravity.

You have no idea how big a problem that is out here! Gotta be careful before you walk out your font door!

But seriously, check the weather report every day, just to make sure you don't need your concrete boots that day.

I don't weigh the Laser's I sail. I assume that if the weight is good enough for it to the leave the factory, and its less then 10 years old, and dry, it's good enough.

You have no idea how big a problem that is out here! Gotta be careful before you walk out your font door!

But seriously, check the weather report every day, just to make sure you don't need your concrete boots that day.

I don't weigh the Laser's I sail. I assume that if the weight is good enough for it to the leave the factory, and its less then 10 years old, and dry, it's good enough.

Ross, why are you saying that?
Do you want trouble or you only whant to make a joke about this "sailchris"?

The influence of gravity is low, yes, but it is there, come and study something like civil engineering and you will see a lot of math-terms there mention the gravity.

From the topic, I'm with the gouv.

Ciao
LooserLu

I'm serious! People just seem to float away out here!

No one ever seems to believe me....

Ross, an internet forum has a big disadvantage: One can't see each other or hear the voices eachother. So, sometimes it is not easy to imagine "the target" of the words one writes, that's why I asked in my way, not more more or less.
If you not really understand something, it's the best way to ask seriously "sailchris", why he mentioned this "g"-constant (which isn't constant it differs between 9.779 "meters per squareseconds" at the imaginary poles of our globe and 9,864 "meters per squareseconds" at the imaginary equator-line of this globe (there is a component of influence of the rotation of this globe and there is a component of influence of the so called "gravitation-forces"). Usually one takes 9.81 "meters per squareseconds". If one takes ~ g=10, you make a mistake of about 2%. In civil engineering this perhaps is much, so one takes ~9,81 or the correct "g"of an area. If one weights a Laser, one measures a force. That is F= m "x" g. If we measure a Laser at the pole and we measure the Laser somewhere at the Equator-line, there is a noticerable difference between the forces that we see at the scales of the weigh. It is important, that the weigh's stand absolute horizontal or they say a wrong force. Reply No #1 is correct.

Only by explaining this above a very litle bit you see, Ross, things are not so easy here at our globe as they like to seem. You sure lean it, too, I'm sure.

You wrote:"...I don't weigh the Laser's I sail. I assume that if the weight is good enough for it to the leave the factory, and its less then 10 years old, and dry, it's good enough...." and the gouv wrote: "...I quit weighing my Lasers years ago. Either they were light and I was bummed because I wasn't winning enough..or they were heavy and I forever felt slow.
I KNOW a couple pounds one way or the other makes near zero difference. I know they weigh the boats at the factory. I know they don't ship super heavy boats. So I don't check anymore..."

I am absolutely your opinion. But Ross, learn 1st to think about what you want to write/express and than may write it. Some old silverbacks here, like f.e.: me, never learn that in our life, but you have a good chance to learn that, okay?

Ciao
LooserLu

I get what your saying, but the gravity thing was a bit of a joke... Maybe humor doesn't translate as well over international forums, sorry

I've never seen Lu get, "up in arms" over anything. Don't mees with an engineer on gravitational theories or you'll get the horn!

Don't mees with an engineer on gravitational theories or you'll get the horn!

Yup, Rob, thanks, with one exception: physicists like Tracy. They know in minimum 200 % more about this special phenomenon of gravitation than civil engineers, I guess. Otherwise they wouldn't research so reall intensive for a unkown 4th basic-force. What a luck we Laserites only have to care for the simple forces of the wind and the currents of the sea ... and maybe: how much inner forces the maststep, upper/lower mast-section and a North- or Hyde Sail of a Laser actually allows...
Ciao
LooserLu

Yes, that's correct, I take more care of a date next time, sorry.

LooserLu, what a heavy topic. Ha ha. I don't know what the gravity is in Ohio, but today I will be home to find out. If I go flying off the planet, well now, that would be an adventure. Don't suppose my snorkel would do any good.

I like your new avatar of the swan in love with the boat swan. Life is funny, ain't it?

As long as the boat is ballpark of the others, I believe the sailor's weight is more important than the boat's weight. At least that's what Gouvernail laments about, being too heavy to be up front.

Merrily, yes, a heavy topic, I think also. Ask a physiciste, he/she definitely is able to do the math's to say the really exact "g" of Columbus/OH...

To measure the weight of a Laser-hull also maybe is an interesting aspect to decide the worth of a Laser-hull, I guess. (I would do it if I would by a used one new).

An answer to my new avatar, I do at the open discussion section at TLF (it not belongs to this thread.)

good journey back home, Merrily (and Mr. Merrily).

Back