Weighing your hull

macwas16

Hi,

I've always wanted to weigh my hull just to find out how heavy she really is. However, I have no idea which ways are the most practical and efficient. Does anybody know any good ways?

Get two sets of weighing scales of the sort you would use to weigh yourself. Place on a flat surface and put the hull up side down on them. Add the two weights shown by the scales together to get the hull weight.

... which is numerically:

- If one wants to take a conservative point of view: the weight of your own hull when you (or your club, if club-owned) bought it;
- If one wants to take an aggressive point of view: the weight of the original hull when it was manufactured.

The Class Rules do not specify a "minimum hull weight".

But Rule 11(b) notes:
"Sanding and refinishing of the hull with the intention or effect to lighten the hull or improve the performance, finish, materials or shape beyond the original is not permitted."

So, knowing the hull weights of the new Lasers produced today is of no use. It does not give us the right to alter the weight of our heavier hulls (by sanding or refinishing) to the weight of the newest hulls or of any lighter hull.

Rule 26(a) also states:
"Repairs and preventative maintenance to the sail, HULL, deck, centreboard, rudder, mast, boom or any fittings and fixings may be carried out without violation of these Rules provided such repairs are made in such a way that the essential shape, characteristics or function of the original are not affected."

I do not know how the ILCA Measurer today would interpret the word "original".

When I bought my "DEATHROLL", I weighed her. Thereafter, I weighed her every year, approximately in the same week, in similar weather conditions. 11 years later when I had to rebuild the cockpit sole core and re-glass the cockpit sole edges, I had to make sure that I put back in as much glass as I ground out.

"DEATHROLL" weighed 128.5 lb.

Shevy

interesting re: no offical numerical value for minimum weight of hull in rules.

many classes have all up weights, (lightning 700 lbs), some classes even have pitching moment measurements. Although most all classes are more "open" than lasers.

I'll use 128 lbs benchmark. I was going to use the weight as a one of several criteria for deciding whether to buy a new boat.

-- David

Hi, David,

You're sailing 170143 and considering buying a NEW boat??? I bet some of us are just scratching our heads now :)

If you will go to the Worlds or Olympics, fine. Get a newer boat. But for Club level and District Championship level, and even NA level racing, 170143 should just serve you fine if she is not TOO heavy or TOO soft.

And for these purposes, I (personally) would begin considering replacing my boat if she weighed (not over 128, but) significantly more than 132 lbs. 128 is too low. I think the only boats under 128 lbs hull weight were produced by Sunfish/Laser, right before Vanguard Sailboats Inc. took over.

Shevy Gunter

Until you are competeing at the Olympic or Worlds level hull weight really should not matter. As I found out this summer my "employer" felt it necessary to delve into coaching by having all of my athletes weigh their boats. All of these sailors should have been more concerned with skill and fitness not hull weight. Now we have a bunch of kids more concerned about the weight of their boat, the weight of their hinking pants rather then getting better. Instant excuse. "My hull is heavy thats why I got passed" Actually kid if you were not on the wrong side of the shift or did'nt drop those tacks ... get my meaning. I met a sailor at the worlds who actually thought his hull was over weight and therfor was less lickely to pitch in the waves so he was "faster". It is all mental. Worry less sail more.

Steve.

I am not worried, and I do want to sail more! Reflecting on boat weighing experience, its easy to get kids psyched out... its too bad that happened.

And, I admit its in my head :) I will purge those negative thoughts with facts by weighing my boat -- thanks to your data.

Maybe I'll go on a diet, and if I drop X? pounds permanently, I'll reward myself with a new boat!

Back