Water repellent on sail window

ReneEvM

Hi Folks,
I'm sailing on salt water and have trouble some time looking through the window for boats above or below me for the salt dries/crystallizes on the window.
Is it class legal to put a water repellent on it like a Rain-X type a thing? Is anybody using a water repellent and have experience/tips they like to share?
Thanks!

This is in the rules, so based on Rain-X not being allowed, it would not be: "No addition or alteration may be made to the Sunfish as supplied by the Builder except as is specifically authorized by these rules."

I have sailed a lot of boats in a lot of classes in salt water, and have never heard of this problem before. How old is your sail?

Thanks. Appreciating the feedback!
Still want to try and debate it though, since I can't see "why not" in the class rules. (see below)

To answer you Q: The sail is less than a year old being used a lot in the Caribbean sun. The salt water dries on it making the window "less see-through". Not saying I can't see anything, it just impairs visibility especially with a low hanging sun in the morning...
If a water repellent on the window is allowed, visibility is "guaranteed" and I'll have just one more to-do on my prep list and less to worry about on the water.

Outtake from the class rules, Jan1, 2015:
3.6 Sail. The sail shall be supplied only by the Builder.
3.6.1 Sails shall not be altered. Sails may be repaired providing that the shape is not altered.
3.6.2 One rectangular window may be installed in the sail so long as the shape or size of the sail is not altered. The total area of the window shall not exceed 600 sq. inches (3871 sq cm).
3.6.3 The sail shall not be attached to the spars by anything other than line and/or Builder supplied sail clips.
3.6.4 The class emblem shall be glued, sewn or silk screened on the sail in the second panel from the head of the sail.

As in many other classes, the Sunfish class rules are "closed" rules. In short, it means that whatever isn't specifically allowed is banned. "Why not" is not the right question here. The Laser class rules, for instance, say "The use of lubricants is unrestricted except they shall not be used on the hull (below the gunwales). That would include coating the sail window, but as the Sunfish doesn't have a similar rule, you can't do it.

Moreover, I agree with beldar that your problem sounds pretty strange.

_

I have had white spots appear on my Sunfish window while sailing in salty waves and windy conditions. It's not pretty, but this didn't interfere with the main purpose of the window, which is to not run into other boats.

PS: the window on a Sunfish sail is set pretty low, compared to the one on a Laser sail. And in bigger breeze, the whole rig is set low and more horizontal by moving the gooseneck back to 20" or so.

So....you can't wax the hull, where you don't sit?
well of course the Sunfish rules only matter if you will be racing in a sanctioned event. And if you are...
“There are no restrictions as to the type of finish applied to the hull so long as the finish is applied in liquid form. Materials applied in solid or sheet form are specifically forbidden.”

And so a liquid wax or rainX on the sail is a no no. Hhmmm. That said, I have a clear vinyl cleaner I use, like a VERY light rubbing compound that eliminates most light scuffing and helps with cloudiness. It also has a repellant effect too and helps prevents spotting. So is cleaning/buffing view windows class legal?

I use "Mother's" spray wash and wax on the window. It cleans up the water spots and has some conditioning qualities I believe. My window always looks great. Would not want to spray "Windex" ammonia on the sail...

And so a liquid wax or rainX on the sail is a no no. Hhmmm. That said, I have a clear vinyl cleaner I use, like a VERY light rubbing compound that eliminates most light scuffing and helps with cloudiness. It also has a repellant effect too and helps prevents spotting. So is cleaning/buffing view windows class legal?
I was going to suggest Classic car wax. Applied to a car's windshield, it behaves like Rain-X until it wears off. I'd expect the same benefit to clear vinyl.

Ask your fellow racing competitors what they use. ;)

Back