water inside mast

ccdon

After sailing (on fresh water lake) yesterday, I could hear water sloshing around inside of my mast. I don't SEE any corrosion holes or gaps where it could have gotten in. I tried propping the mast upright and upside down to see if the water would slowly dribble out, but no luck. Should I attempt to remove the base cap or top cap in order to get the water out? Exactly HOW do I do that? I see tiny pins securing the cap at either end...do I drive those through? If I do, can they be re-used?

ccdon,

Yes, you can drive the pins in (just enough to remain in the cap), remove the caps (due both caps) and reuse the pins, (pull the pins from the cap with pliers and drill new holes). (New pins don't cost much, about $5-6 bucks for 10). Inside you will/may find a cork plug a few inches up the mast, this can be removed (and the mast will still be legal to race with (rule 3.5.10) if you wish). You may want to do a leak test to see if you have a leak anywhere in the tube itself. Reinstall the caps with a bead of sealant (give the cap a twist to spead the sealant) and the pins (or small pop rivits) and you should be good to go. A small pin hole in the tube itself can be filled with sealant or JB Weld. JB Weld blends in better (appearence wise) and will last longer, apply and sand smooth (mast is originally clear anodized I believe). Should you find a cluster of pin holes in one area, think about replacing the mast. Good luck.

Back