Water in my Laser Hull

Karl F. Machata

I totally dried out my Laser during the hot summer months. Absolutely NO water inside the hull. Now I've got water again inside my hull! From the mast step? How do I get the water out? How do I check the integrity of the mast step and repair it? THANKS.

To test the mast step fill it with water. See if the water level goes down. Water can also get in through the small hole right below the front of the hiking strap, If the bow is angled down and rain water collects in the cockpit.

Run a soap bubble test.
The bailer is another potential (and fairly common) source of leakage.

So once the source of the leak is located, that's great, but what to do with the water already in the hull? Install an inspection port and sponge it up? Install a second drain at the back that drains the hull?

what to do with the water already in the hull? Install an inspection port and sponge it up? Install a second drain at the back that drains the hull?
A second transom drain isn't legal, and isn't even needed. You'll get almost everything out through the one drain (you may want to raise the boat nearly vertical), and the rest doesn't matter/will evaporate. But of course you can sponge the boat totally dry through an inspection port if you're going to install one anyway.

_

If the boat is old, check the rear bottom of the centreboard case for wear and leaks; I have repaired two boats with this

Back