Water in Mast Hole

erschoener

I recently acquired a 1979 AMF sunfish and am in the process getting the boat ready to sail for the season. I see water in the bottom of the hole where the mast attaches to the hull. Should the water drain from that hole into the hull or is that hole sealed off from the rest of the hull?

Thanks!

Mine does that too. i think the hole is sealed. Pump it out with the mast, a bilge pump, or flip it over and let 'em drain.

i use a big rubber stopper to during storage.

Does your inner hull leak from rain when stored upright? Durong winter i store inverted. Hull doesn't leak when in water; water leaks in from top in rain somehow.:confused:

water in the mast step is a good thing. If it gets intothe heull you have a wet hull, which slowly turns your boat into a 300+lbs FatFish. The water is a sign that the step is still sealed. I think "pumping" it out with the mast is a great way to damage your step. Although it does work out what ever sexual agression you might be feeling before a race?

.... I think "pumping" it out with the mast is a great way to damage your step. Although it does work out what ever sexual agression you might be feeling before a race?

Pumping it out requires Gentle penetration and finese; NOT brutal pounding!:D

Just to clarify (I hope) two points:

Water in the mast step/tube is perfectly OK. But it doesn't mean there is no leak somewhere in the tube. Just imagine a crack 1" above the bottom. The water will leak into the hull until 1" remains in the tube.

Getting the water out after a sail is a good idea, as was pointed out by dr.ed. And in the winter it's mandatory because freezing can cause the tube to crack.

Mast churning, how tribal :eek:

A small sponge or rag tied in the middle with a stout string for retrieval and pushed to the bottom of the tube works. A shop vac works great.

Back