Water in hull

g1gaumond

Took my daughter's laser out for a good spin yesterday, great wind and got her planing a few times, now I understand why you bunch a people are so maniac about the lasers!!! Far better rush than sailing on our fat keelboat:rolleyes:.

Here's the issue, after 2 hours in good waves, I found quite a bit of water in hull. Since I fixed the mast step and tested it to be dry, I am left with finding other sources of leakage. Since we got it, there's always been a been in water coming in, but I felt that last night was more than usual (5-6 cups) and I did not even wipe out:cool:.

More information:

I changed the stern drain plug assembly, which I am confident that it is sealtight, when I lean the boat toward the back no water comes out with the plug in.

I changed the cockpit drain assembly and sealed, no real way of testing it. But I did noticed that when I put the new one in, there's was a gap between the outer hull and inner cockpit (1/16") though I filled it with 3M4200 before thightening it. Could this gap be one of the sources? I saw in the archives that some people regalssed or expoxied this gap. Should I consider doing this?

The joint between deck and hull looks good.

Could it be coming in from the daggerboard trunk? She is not a young boat (1974)? How can I check this and is the only way to fix such leak, would be to cut another inspection hole and reglass the trunk from inside?

I also read about testing with soapy water to see were it leaks, so now I am trying to establish the most likely culprit.

Your experience advice is again welcomed!!!

Ghislain

The best advice is the soapy water test. I've done that on several boats.

Remember not to over pressurize the hull - the idea is just to use a vacuum cleaner on "reverse" and hold the hose up to the drain plug by hand about half an inch away - this will create enough of a pressure increase to leak out and show bubbles.

It's a two person job - one on the drain plug and one with the soapy water.

If you have inspection ports, they may be a source for water infiltration.

I know my boat leaks at the centerboard inspection-port (which needs replacement).

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Just a quick question about the soapy water test. How do you do it? A bottle of soapy water in a spray can? I got a sililar problem.

Just a quick question about the soapy water test. How do you do it? A bottle of soapy water in a spray can? I got a sililar problem.

Use the search button, we just discussed it again last week,
Search on Soapy water test

Even though the seal between the hull and deck may look good, it might still leak. I had this problem with a new boat. You just turn boat over on its back, apply some pressure via the drain plug (a reverse vacuum but hold it away from the drain plug about 3 inches) soap up the entire hull/deck seal and see if there are any bubbles. If so you must seal with epoxy. I was getting some water in through this void.

Did the soapy water test this week-end.

Results:

1) Leak at the foredeck inspection port, newly installed, gone back to sealing a port 101 course and got it right this time!

2) Small leak at the mast step, newly repaired, again back to fiberglass/expoxy application 101 course. Got it fixed.

3) Small leak at the cockpit drain plug, I saw this one coming, when I installed the new brass fit, It noticed the play between the hull and deck, but did not any better before researching this fine forum again. Will keep this one as a winter project, gathered all the info I could find here for the fix...just a few weeks :mad: left to play on the water. So sailing it is for now! :)

Thanks again!

GG

Cheers

Back