Water Flowing Up Through Centerboard Trunk while sailing

MPP1234

Any tips for best way to reduce water flowing up through the centerboard trunk and filling the cock pit?

I beach launch the boat and dragging along beach has destroyed the auto bailer so I removed it but now it doesnt work unless you're going really fast so just opening the bailer doesnt work. I'm thinking maybe some soft side velcro on the inner trunk to help fill the gap?

Any suggestions welcome...

1. Install a new bailer.
2. Mount your hiking strap under the centreboard brake (So that the strap goes under the sheet block plate, too). This way the strap covers the aftmost bit of the trunk opening. While you're at it, replace the brake.
3. Don't drag your boat along the beach, or do anything else that would destroy the bailer.

Really shouldn't be happening at all... I've never had water come up through the daggerboard trunk on anything.

Might line the bottom inch or two of the trunk with carpet to form a sort of soft seal against the daggerboard. Then there won't be any force driving the water up.
Don't make it too tight to adjust the daggerboard normally.
Side benefit... the board will stay in place better if partly raised.
I'm not sure if that would be race legal though.

Really shouldn't be happening at all... I've never had water come up through the daggerboard trunk on anything.
I get it most of the time. I would say it's a function of wave height. But it goes out through the bailer anyway in conditions where this could be a problem.

I'm not sure if that would be race legal though.
It isn't.

Thanks for the responses. . . I dont care about class stuff...

The boat lives on a beach in Long island sound (6-8 ft tide) and I often sail alone, so unfortunately dragging the boat is the only way to launch it. I actually have another one on order but the problem is that the leading edge of the bailer isn't secured to the indent so when dragging it can catch and hang down jamming sand and rocks into it. My thought is to maybe add a thin layer of glass overlapping that edge so it can't 'catch' anymore... either that or 5200 the front edge so its sealed (temporal really).

My thought is to maybe add a thin layer of glass overlapping that edge so it can't 'catch' anymore... either that or 5200 the front edge so its sealed (temporal really).
Silicone and electrical tape (the wider kind) should be enough.

About the centreboard brake: I haven't tried it yet, but the new model (Laser Daggerboard Friction Pad Mk2) looks like it would seal the back end of the trunk much better. (Which is where the water is coming in, at least on my boat.)

Get a Seitech dolly and a little 8lb mushroom anchor w a float.
Launch and anchor the boat to return the dolly, leave the anchor/float set while you sail, reverse the process coming in...

Get a Seitech dolly and a little 8lb mushroom anchor w a float.
Launch and anchor the boat to return the dolly, leave the anchor/float set while you sail, reverse the process coming in...

Sounds like a great idea when there's no wind... I could see this becoming very difficult in 15+ knts of wind. The other issue is why pay ~$300 for a dolly when the boat only cost me $350 and a little glassing could fix the prob.

Pretty easy to make a blade slot dolly with scrap materials and a pair of wheels from Harbor Freight.

Plywood to go up the blade slot... pipe through a hole in the plywood. and put bolts as axles into pipe caps Wheels just outboard of the hull... fat pool noodle pieces on the pipe so the hull doesn't rock and pipe doesn't shift side to side...

Thanks for the input but beach launching a boat in heavy wind and waves is difficult enough without a dolly... dealing with another large floating object in crashing waves and heavy wind while trying to control a laser isnt really practical. If you're in chest deep water in 20knts of wind with a dolly floating on the surface in one arm and the boat in the other... how are you to get it under a boat in the right orientation (with a centerboard slot) or how would you keep the boat on the floating dolly with breaking waves while you attempt to pull them both to the beach and then onto the beach? Have you ever had a wave crash or push your boat against you along the shore? It can be a lot of force and can hurt you rather easily...

Right... i mean think about how complicated that would be by yourself in calm conditions... now think of a 20knt gust coming by and with the wave action your boat flips... now you have to right a boat, with a dolly underneath it... or next to it in crashing waves. OR you could maybe just glue/expoxy the bailer in place. I like the idea of a bit of a flap at the back of the center board trunk. I'm def going to try that!

Sounds like a rough place to sail.....I agree trolleys are out. I think if I were in the same situation and had to drag my boat I'd add some kevlar wear strips where the the boat shows the most damage, and as you've suggested overlap it around the bailer to protect it.

Check this vid at 3.24mins, how to drag a K1 sprint kayak.

Build the dolly such that it sinks... Piece of rope to an anchor and another to a float so you can recover it when convenient.

Just a matter of tire choice.

Back