Water bottle attachment

fferm

Hi

I started sailing Laser this year and is still figuring out details of my rigging...

Now, my attention is at a water bottle holder. I have tried using a piece of shock-cord attached to the hiking strap attachments and wrapped around the neck of a regular soda bottle. This worked OK, until I capsized this Tuesday, when I lost the bottle. Does anybody have any ideas for a good capsize-proof water bottle arrangement? I'd like to be able to drink while I sail without too much effort, i e placing the bottle in a bag in the inspection port doesn't really work.

Regards
/ Fredrik

Rooster have just released a new water bottle with a one way valve, so you can drink from it without having to fuss about with a lid and salt water doesnt get in. ON the matter of where to store it, many people using a water bottle cage from a bicycle tapped to the mast. However i dont know if the cage would fit the rooster water bottle.

I bought a handy little device at REI. It is a carabiner with a rubber piece that connects to a plastic water bottle.

It would be perfect. Unfortunately it is not on their web site. They
may no longer carry it.

No doubt there are other solutions that could be found from a
camping store.

Maybe a shock cord "around the neck of the bottle" was the problem. It has been a long time since my bottle managed to get lose and I use a shock cord fastened to the hilking strap eyes.
I don't chose my water bottles by brand. I select according to whether the bottle has a groove in the middle that will capture the shcok cord and make it not slide off the bottle.
You can see the shock cord around the Dannon Brand bottle in this photo.
http://www.schrothfiberglass.com/images/powerbars.jpg

Hi! I have a idea what it is , is a retractable line I use for my swipe card at work I have seen bigger ones that would hold 3lbs of keys But I have no idea where to find one, You could put a velcro strap for the water bottle and attach the clip to a line

I think that might slip out too.

I use a cycling bottle (I think it was free at some cycling safety event or something) that has a big dip in the middle of it to fit in the holder-thing. I tied a line around that so it won't come off, then tied the other end to my hiking strap bungee. Works like a charm, I can drink from my hiking position and just toss the bottle in the cockpit.

I have a plastic waterbottle with a loop molded into the screw-on lid, which has a pop up spout, and I attach the bottle using a caribiner to the back end of the hiking strap. It's great for taking a drink between races. I tend not to drink during races. I won't die without a drink during a race, though with Galveston Bay waters in the high 80's, it's handy during a race to squirt my head and face with fresh water.

Rob E said:
I bought a handy little device at REI. It is a carabiner with a rubber piece that connects to a plastic water bottle.

It would be perfect. Unfortunately it is not on their web site. They
may no longer carry it.

No doubt there are other solutions that could be found from a
camping store.

Those are great -- they had them at the checkout counter at CitySports last time I was in. The rubber ring fits over the neck of an ordinary store-bougthen 50 cent bottle of water.

I sail with a Nalgene so I just take the tag end of my traveler line and tie it through the loop on the Nalgene...It has worked really well so far this year.

Tim

Really like the idea of the 3KG retractable, but bet it wouldn't stand up to salt water for very long. A gap in the market methinks...:)

I have velcro stuck to the cockpit, and velcro stuck to a koozie.... then the water bottle fits in the koozie... the system also supports other 'aluminum-housed' beverages.

you know... one of those foam things that fits around an aluminum can to keep the beverage inside cold...

By water bottle I mean the cheap disposable ones.

I was back at REI and they had some of these in stock. They are called
bottle bandits, made by Bison Designs. www.bisondesigns.com

REI has them available online:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47686494&parent_category_rn=10642126

The carabiner clips nicely onto the line that holds the hiking strap - or onto a
loop at the end of the traveler.

There were similar products from different manufacturers also. So a well-stocked camping
store would likely have something like this.

This is a little off subject of a solution of a water bottle, but it's funny :

I stopped wearing my camelbak while sailing because while leaving the harbor, I tacked and something on the backpack got caught on the mainsheet and nearly capsized me. The capsizing isn't so bad, but if I had gone over another few degrees, I would have mast-whacked the O'Neill catamaran O.O.... so yeah, I'm going to read these water bottle solutions. I'm scared of having to pay $$$ for repairs of other boats. :)

Velcro on the side of the bottle, velcro inside the cockpit, you're all set. You can even reach it on a dry dump.

Candokeeper

I've always used a really "flexy" shock cord attatched to the hikingstrap and then tied around the bottle, then I just let it sit between the ropes that attaches the hiking strap to the boat. It stays there unless you capsize and then it dosn't matter as it's still attached to the shockcord.

i have found the best way to be when hog ringing the shock cord for your hiking strap posistion them about one and a half inches apart creating a small loop in the shock cord where it doubles up. You can easily slip the lid of any plastic water bottle in here.I have never lost a bottle in a capsize with this method as well.

Back