Washing the sails at Cunningham State Park

SteveP

Yesterday (15 June 2013) we got up early and headed up to Cunningham Sate Park in the Catoctin mountains just north of Frederick Maryland. Although I don't really consider the large hills around here to be mountains I gained an appreciation for the challenges other sailors have described related to sailing in mountain lakes. The lake sits in a bowl with trees and hills on all sides. This results in confusing winds with unexpected large gusts. The winds on Saturday were coming from all directions. It seems that I would just get the sails set and the wind would start blowing from the north instead of the east or the south. It got to where I just set the Jib in the center of the mast and cleated it off on both sides. This is probably why I ended up "washing the sails" for the first time. I was sailing along the north east end of the lake (by the dam) when a large gust of wind came up from the south. I hiked out as far as a could and eased out the main but the boat continued to tilt until finally, over it went. I quickly swam around the boat and grabbed the center board. I was amazed at how easy it was to right the boat, requiring very little downward pressure on the centerboard to bring the boat back to its upright position. While I was in the water I looked at the top of the mast and found that it was under the water but only about 6 inches. I had installed an eye ring at the top of the mast and attached a mast float airbag that I had purchased for around $20 from an outfit in England. The top of the airbag was standing straight up out of the water but there was enough buoyancy to keep the mast from turtling. I was back in the boat and getting the lines and sheets straightened out when the park ranger came over in his power boat to lend assistance. I made a few more trips up and down the length of the lake before calling it a day.

Even though I had not intended to capsize the boat it was good to go through the experience so that I am now confident I can handle the situation if/when it happens again.

Back