washing sails.

sailingsweetie

I've always washed my sails off after i've been on the water, wether i capsized or not, because i always thought that the salt cut through the fibre and destroyed the material plus it kept moisture in which could cause mould, but i was talking to a few mates the other day, and they reckon you shouldnt wash your sails because the salt keeps them crisp. i'd like to know what you guys reckon/do

That's probably right, to some degree. Umm, last time I was in Miami I packed my bathing suit for the ride home after drying in the sun from an afternoon of hanging out on the beach and in the water. It was definitely crisp when I touched it again. Now as for being good for the sail.. that's another question.

the salt is only going to crystalize in the sail, soon as you start working it a bit you lose whatever 'crispness' it added, and the dry salt is only going to grind on the fibres

as for washing it, personally i'd be happy with a freshwater hose down and a solid drying before it's stowed: wet + stored sail = mildew

Back