Warped daggerboard

The Ryan

This has probbably been discused already but i couldn't find it.
My daggerboard warped while it was under my cover(i know it shouldn't be there ) so any ideas on repair.
Thanks Ryan

Not to rain on your parade, but the best choice is to go buy a new one. Of course, it depends on how warped it is. The more warped, the more you should think about buying a new one.

HOWEVER.... if you have copious amounts of time and enjoy massive amounts of fustration... this is how you could fix it. Start off by laying massive amounts of gelcoat on both sides until you have a much thicker, but flat, daggerboard. Then, power sand it down to the approximate size. Once you are close, wetsand it to a nice finish.

I would recommend buying a new one.........

This has probbably been discused already but i couldn't find it.
My daggerboard warped while it was under my cover(i know it shouldn't be there ) so any ideas on repair.
Thanks Ryan

The bottom tip of mine warped because I had the bad habit of storing mine upright in my garage. It got hot last summer and the thing folded right over. I used a heat gun, very carefully. The tip got soft and I bent it right back in place. It's been fine ever since. With the whole board being warped, it would be really cool if you could take it to a dry cleaners and put it in their press!

Ugh I think I am going to have to fix mine on Tuesdays. I have a griller, heat gun and hot water. Which do you think will work the best? Its about 3" long warped to one side.

Thanks guys.

fold foil over it

then iron it till you get it flat as you want it, works every time

Thanks for the input. i tried just clamping it with to two 2x4 on either side and its pretty good but the iron sounds like a good idea.
Thanks Ryan

what i found to work nice and easy is to heat it up with a heat gun or hair dryer then push as much as you can into place then clamp on some 2x4's and it should get you nice and straight. there is no reason to get a new on or to add gelcoat and sand it down

Back