What's new

Wanted Sunfish in good shape.

DougR

Price $
State
NEW JERSEY
Hi,
I'm looking for a late model Sunfish that's not water logged, and in good shape. Race ready would be great, but not mandatory. Willing to drive a couple of hours if need be, I'm in Northern NJ.
Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:

shorefun

You had better take some time to understand NJ's rules. I live in NJ. You "need" a title if it is in NJ. To title anything without a title in NJ they have a 12 step program. It involves getting the HIN checked in surrounding states to show not stolen from there, putting ads in newspapers, and getting a bond. After many months and fees you can get a title. I estimate it will cost you around $800 to do the process. I know this because I play with antique cars. I found out they use the same process with boats and trailers. The trailers will not be titled and you will need a registration and a bill of sale that is notarized with the sellers signature. This is based on buying a Hunter 170 about 3 years ago now and what I went through. It was titled and the trailer was registered by the previous owner. There are a lot of people who have small trailers with no registration and they never get in trouble.

NY state does not register sunfish so you will need a bill of sale from someone in NY. Of course, before you buy call the state and ask what you need from the out of state person. You may need notarized paperwork so you need to know ahead of time.

What I have learned is no one really cares if your Sunfish is registered. Also I believe in NJ a racing boat does not need to be registered. I have been sailing with a yacht club and no one registers their boats (sunfish laser and etc) and they have never been stopped. As best I understand it the most likely place you would have a problem is a lake in some state parks. I currently own 3 sunfish and only one has a title. I have not bothered to try and transfer the title since the covid thing has slowed it up.

All the info is at the NJ MVC website. I suggest you do some research.

Hope that gives you some perspective.

DougR

Thanks Shorefun,
I've actually spent a great deal of time on the DMV site, calling the state marine police, looking at the forms and the required docs like a notarized bill of sale etc. I've Googled and read forums. I've read some have no issue, and some bring everything and get denied. I'm aiming high and hoping to find one with a Title. I was hoping to get it registered with the bill of sale and go for a Title next. Your rundown though makes that sound highly unlikely. Regarding no one caring, you know that one guy that gets pulled over when there is a ton of traffic zooming by, that's me. I'm just doing my best to avoid the inevitable!! I appreciate your reply and the time you are trying to save me. Thanks again, Doug

shorefun

In NJ there is no bill of sale.

If you buy a Sunfish in NJ then it must have a title or you have to work you butt off and spend a lot of money to get it a title.

On the other hand.....

If you buy from a state that does not require titles for the sunfish like NY then all you need is a bill of sale from the NY seller. You go to the DMV with that and you should be able to get a title. I would call NJ MVC and ask how you would title a Sunfish from NY because they do not title under 14'. Of course if you have a friend in NY that would sell you a sunfish that he bought in NJ without a title then you could get a title for it.

chris williams

I think one or two Sunfish at the club I belong to (Brant Beach) have registration numbers, and none of the Lasers. I have never been stopped anywhere on Barnegat Bay, and I have never heard of anyone getting stopped. I also sail at regattas at other shore clubs, haven't been stopped, and don't recall seeing other Sunfish or Lasers with registration numbers, so they must not get stopped at those clubs either. The only time I have ever been stopped was leaving a regatta at Spruce Run Reservoir State Park with my boat on the roof (guess I did not have my hull cover on that day.) I told him I was from Pennsylvania (which is where I live) and was at a regatta. He said that was OK, but don't sail there it if isn't for a regatta.

DougR

Everyone is correct in their advice. Most clubs don't have registered Sunfish or Lasers because they are used for racing which is an exemption. I will be using mine on lakes and reservoirs and trailering it around. I want the nice decals on the side what can I say. This afternoon I was able to head over to the local Marine Police station and had the good fortune to speak with a very helpful officer. Make an appointment, show up with a notarized bill of sale, the boat, they'll do what they do and you'll get a HIN#. You can then get it registered and titled at the DMV. Thanks for the pointers, I've edited my ad no paperwork requirements, just a nice boat and a notarized Bill of Sale.

beldar boathead

I assume that the HIN# you will get from the state will be different than the HIN# molded into the stern of 1973 and later Sunfish?

DougR

I assume that the HIN# you will get from the state will be different than the HIN# molded into the stern of 1973 and later Sunfish?
Well.... so after speaking with the DMV, The Marine Police and sage advice from others, and now a reply from out of this Universe..... I guess I have NO IDEA how to buy a Legal Sunfish in the great state of NJ without jumping through a million hoops. I'm trying to understand how it is the most popular boat in the world, and yet almost impossible to legally own in NJ. I should have posted an add for the Holy Grail, it would be easier to find!

Zork

Well.... so after speaking with the DMV, The Marine Police and sage advice from others, and now a reply from out of this Universe..... I guess I have NO IDEA how to buy a Legal Sunfish in the great state of NJ without jumping through a million hoops. I'm trying to understand how it is the most popular boat in the world, and yet almost impossible to legally own in NJ. I should have posted an add for the Holy Grail, it would be easier to find!
I have a feeling this is like being a pilot and dealing with the FAA. You never tell them what they don't need to know, otherwise you give them a reason to live.

DougR

Zork, words to live by! I guess a used available Sunfish with Papers is a rare commodity. I hate to go new. Just more plastic in the landfill at some point.

Zork

If you want a Sunfish with papers you have to go to east Germany. ;) I should know, I lived there for 5 years.

- Your papers, please.
- You're talking to a boat.
- And zat means I am not speeking to you. Papers, boat!
- <Why do I always run into the ones in the special-kind-of-stupid category?>
- Vat vas DAT you said?!
- Nothing. Carry on your conversation with my boat. If you can get it to answer you can keep it.
- Ja, zat will be gut!
- <Oh lord. What drunken german gynecologist fathered this one?>
- I can hear you! His name vas Calcifer!

Geiffert

Hi,
I'm looking for a late model Sunfish that's not water logged, and in good shape. Race ready would be great, but not mandatory. Willing to drive a couple of hours if need be, I'm in Northern NJ.
Thanks,
Doug
Hi Doug. Give me a call. I’ve got a boat and title. Greg. 570.996.7282