Virtual Skipper 4 now released

I think I need to try the trial version before I buy it. I've got 3 and heard 4 wasn't much better. Please lets hear what folks think about 3 vs. 4?

DaveK

Well, the demo seems very similar to VSK3 The graphics are improved, but other than that, I didn't feel much difference. I don't think I'm going to buy it.

7/10, it seems like there was a lack of improvements from the previous version (other than different boats and locations), but it's still a good game.

Hey Dave K what is your name on VSK3? Mine is SUNRAY (suprise, suprise). I heard that VSK 4 is an upgrade for '3' owners.....not true?

the demo is different to the full version (as it was in vsk3)

vsk4 isnt an upgrade for vsk3 owners, completely seperate

vsk4 has a stronger single player game (the computer boats can actually sail instead of just running into things)

multiplayer game is also stronger, better rules implementation, more players per race, the feature to create new boat designs (opti has already been made to test this feature)

and as was with vsk,vsk2,vsk3 there will be a patch after christmas, which always bring big improvements

Well, shoot, if I had known it was coming out THIS soon I would have waited to buy it. The poster said MONTHS, not weeks. I'm disappointed in VSK3, because when you are lifted or headed, the boat slows down, but the horizon doesn't shift, at least not that I've noticed. I don't suppose VSK4 is any different?

Merrily

Merrily said:
I'm disappointed in VSK3, because when you are lifted or headed, the boat slows down, but the horizon doesn't shift, at least not that I've noticed. I don't suppose VSK4 is any different?

Merrily

I really never noticed that.... I don't really know that wind shadows are taken seriously on VSK3 either. I enjoy playing it,,,I'm still no good...I really helps to play the same course over and over so you know where the shifts are (unless they are random)..There does seem to be a few folks that are consistent winners. I wonder if that success translates to the REAL regatta course???

I played the demo last night. Interesting...the computer boats did seem to behave a bit more realistic. I like the look of the controls in vsk3 better, but I could get used to them...The water graphics did not look to great in the first 2 races in solo play, esp, when viewed from above...I'm going to try some more tonight. I won my first 2 races but I wonder if the program remembered it, so I don't have to play them again....

I guess the main thing I use to dislike the most about vsk3 is the random boat or sub or whatever it was that use to cut across the course and mow you down in the middle of a perfect leg.... I mean if I'm in a ACC Cup boat thats just not going to happen.

-K

Sunray said:
Hey Dave K what is your name on VSK3? Mine is SUNRAY (suprise, suprise). I heard that VSK 4 is an upgrade for '3' owners.....not true?

Mine would be DaveK if I played online. I haven't yet. I don't play as often as I would like (the wife gets a little pissed). But, I'll admit that I haven't played in any other mode than auto (as far as trimming is concerned). If you play online, do you need to be in a total manual mode? I would think so. Or can you do it by just driving and changing sails when needed?

DaveK

The host can select whether or not the race is in manual, auto, or both. I think the default is both. I usually like manual downwind and auto for upwind and reaching.

I tried to get online but, all of the games were full. I'll try again over the holiday even though I'm sure I'll suck at it.

DaveK

hey i have the full version on vsk3..i cant figure out how to make my own race track etc..it is also crap bcoz its not real match racing..on vsk4 do you no if it is real match racing in it?
does any1 no wher to download the full version from?

yeah good. im sick of these simulators n its not bloody match racing, just 2 boat fleet racing..its crap.

ozboy said:
it is also crap bcoz its not real match racing..on vsk4 do you no if it is real match racing in it?
quote]

Well, it seems like pretty good match racing. What do you mean? I have match races on it all the time...

ozboy said:
hey i have the full version on vsk3..i cant figure out how to make my own race track ?

What you do is select 'site editor' instead of multiplayer as we mostly do. That will get you to another screen where you can select 'create a new challenge'. This will allow you to make a kick-ass tropical race or create a new course in the already existing arenas....San Francisco, isle of Wight, e.t.c.

Hope this helps

is there a design your own boat thing because i saw something with an opti on the website. could you make a laser or a radial.

Wow.. i remember running into this game (or maybe something similar to it..) when i first became obsessed with sailing in 4th grade:p my computer then was too slow to run it haha... is this for mac? i can't find if it is on their website...

Back