What's new

Vintage Full Rig Laser

TimTolford

Price $
State
MAINE
Vintage barn find. #8123, born on 06 1973. White hull in very good condition. Original varnished mahogany boards, tiller, and cockpit rails with Elvstrom ratchet block. Some fittings replaced, new cleats, mainsheet, and unopened Intensity sail. If you are looking for a serious racer, this isn’t your boat. This is your Grandmasters original boat in great shape. No dolly or trailer. Asking $1600 or BO.

Attachments

Cactus Cowboy

Nice... reminds me of my old Laser #2069, only the hull is white instead of the various colors I had over the decades. Somebody is gonna score a nostalgic boat here, wish I had the money... I'd buy her right now, LOL. Probably cost more to ship her to the high desert in Arizona than it would cost to buy the boat, LOL. :confused:

For her age, the boat looks to be in surprisingly good condition in the photos... some kid in the Northeast is gonna get one helluva Christmas present, aye? ;)

TimTolford

My first was 5730 and when we found this one in such good shape and all original, I said, I had to save her. She was donated to Sailing Ships Portland by the original owners widow. Had been in a barn for many years, sail was shot as was the original mainsheet. I changed out most of the cleats as they were worn out, replaced a handful of rivets but didn’t have to refinish the boards which were beautiful. If you were a Tom Reed from Falmouth, Maine, I would have delivered her but trying to ship it to Az doesn’t make much sense. Find a newer one in your area for the same $ including shipping. Happy hunting and keep Lasering.
Tim

Cactus Cowboy

Yeah, when the time comes... but she sure looks pretty, I like the old Lasers, and there's a certain cachet to owning one of the early boats, LOL. :cool:

I STILL recall other sailors asking me if some numbers were missing off the mainsail of #2069... ;)

Cactus Cowboy

An African elephant, larger than its Indian cousin, LOL... :eek:

Probably dating myself here, but I once read a book titled 'MAN IS THE PREY'---the book listed human deaths attributed to wild animals, and rogue elephants have killed quite a few humans in the past. In Africa, crocodiles were the number one killer, since natives had to go to the river or lake to get water... surprisingly, rogue hippos were also on the list, their jaws large enough to cut a man in two. :(

Some better-written books by Jim Corbett detail his accomplishments in the hunting world, specifically his targeting of man-eating tigers & leopards in India. Check out 'MAN-EATERS OF KUMAON'---that is a gnarly book, and Jim Corbett was a brave man for going up against those man-eaters, often under gubmint contract. One tiger killed over 400 people before Corbett tracked it down and killed it... 400 PEOPLE!!! :confused:

Makes beating an elephant seem like a sane & sensible proposition, LOL. Anyway, those books written by Jim Corbett are very interesting, and some of those man-eaters were very clever adversaries, like Wile E. Coyote, only smarter, LOL. The accounts of Corbett going into thick brush or dark culverts to confront the man-eaters are rather thrilling, the reader feels like the tiger may pounce at any moment... tough gig, that work by Corbett, but he was up to the task. :rolleyes:

MOI, I CAN THINK OF MORE PLEASANT PASTIMES THAN GOING INTO THICK BRUSH TO CONFRONT A WOUNDED MAN-EATING TIGER... ;)

I HAVE A HARD ENOUGH TIME FINDING MY HOUSE CATS WHEN THEY WANT TO DISAPPEAR... THE BLASTED VARMINTS!!! :cool:

tom reed

I come down to Portland fairly often and would be interested in taking a look at the boat. Next week would be the earliest I would be down. My cell number is 908 914 8451. I live in North Conway.

TimTolford

The boat is now in the Brunswick area stored in a heated work space for the winter. When it is convenient for you to be in the area, give me a few days notice and I will make arrangements for the showing. The boards, sail, and spars are her in Falmouth at my house. My home phone is 207-781-2154 so we can connect. Happy to show her to you. Thanks for the reply. You didn't happen to grow up in Falmouth did you?
Tim

The boat is now in the Brunswick area stored in a heated work space for the winter. When it is convenient for you to be in the area, give me a few days notice and I will make arrangements for the showing. The boards, sail, and spars are her in Falmouth at my house. My home phone is 207-781-2154 so we can connect. Happy to show her to you. Thanks for the reply. You didn't happen to grow up in Falmouth did you?
Tim
Still for sale?

TimTolford

Yes the boat is still for sale. It has moved back to Portland for ease of showing. I live in Falmouth and have the sail and equipment at my house.