VIDEOS!

Been following him for a while. Since I started sailing SF a year ago, his videos were a source of some good information and ideas. I am glad he is doing this.

Nicd video. I hope you got back Ok with the light winds. Given the amount of sailing you are doing, you would really benefit from a new daggerboard. The class-legal ones are expensive, but I believe an Intensity costs around $199. You are sailing with the "shadow" board, which is the smallest board ever provided with a Sunfish. You will go upwind faster, point higher, and come out of tacks more easily with a new board. Since you now have a wetsuit, the board would be an excellent next gift.

Also, it will not be as noticeable as a new board, but sitting as far forward in the cockpit as possible will keep the stern from dragging and you will go a bit faster on all points of sail (although downwind in big waves you will want to sit back some.)

, you would really benefit from a new daggerboard. The class-legal ones are expensive, but I believe an Intensity costs around $199. You are sailing with the "shadow" board, which is the smallest board ever provided with a Sunfish. You will go upwind faster, point higher, and come out of tacks more easily with a new board.

Are these the boards in question? The lower wooden one is what came with the 1973 Minifish I just bought, and posted about on a different thread (Sunfish rigging question). The upper one was just sent to me by mistake from Vela Sailing, when I ordered a replacement fiberglass rudder for the wooden Minifish rudder that had split during my first attempt at a beach launch of this boat, i.e. they accidentally sent me the fiberglass daggerboard (price $299 on their website) instead of the fiberglass rudder (price $265).

DSC05095.JPG

I called them yesterday when it arrived and they are sending me a shipping label to return it, but based on what you say here it sounds as if I might be better off just keeping it at the discount price and using that as an upgrade to this wooden board. Especially since my quick-and-dirty repair to the split wooden rudder using lag screws seems to have performed OK on my test cruise, so maybe I didn't need to replace that rudder in a hurry after all. So maybe my $265 is better spent that way, right now?
DSC05033.JPG

DSC05037.JPG

DSC05040.JPG

i like adventures in reach for sunfish stuff too. he does some great gear stuff and also pretty decent with the sailing stuff. i have a local island i want to camp on and still figuring out how to get gear out there with a sunfish.

The International Masters just finished today (3/15/22).
Three days of 'hard core' racing in/near Clearwater FL. Nine races were completed.
Here is some (drone) video of the sailors getting to the battlefield.
I gather that it got quite windy a little later with gusts in the mid twenties.
(2) Facebook

Capsize recovery.

Although demonstrated with a Tornado catamaran, note how he waits for the boat to come into the wind before he effortlessly uprights his boat.

Elsewhere, a Tornado race on Lake Garda is a worthwhile view, as every movement is announced by the captain. (And we do have at least one other Tornado captain here--besides me). :)

What do you mean Tornado, that’s a Hobie 16...

But that is a cool channel! Search for ”Joseph Bennett” on YouTube.

The Tornado video you mean is ”Tornado European Championships - Onboard with Live Commentary GBR2 -”, and it’s from 2018.

(Can’t post direct links right now, sorry :oops: )

_

What do you mean Tornado, that’s a Hobie 16...

But that is a cool channel! Search for ”Joseph Bennett” on YouTube.

The Tornado video you mean is ”Tornado European Championships - Onboard with Live Commentary GBR2 -”, and it’s from 2018.

(Can’t post direct links right now, sorry :oops: )

Oh.yeah. I've had a bunch of catamarans, too. :oops:

I think it's the same commentator as on the Lake Garda Tornado video.

Rimini. Not Garda :rolleyes: But still a cool channel, thanks for bringing attention to it :)

_

Lee Montes on removing sail clips--very short video...:

(No mention of re-using clips. :mad: )

Back