Video: Sailing "The Museum Piece"

andyatos

I've got a nickname for my friend Greg's recently acquired Sunfish. I call it, "The Museum Piece".

That's because it looks like a nautical sailing museum bought a Sunfish brand new back in the day, brought it to their location, took off the shrink wrap and put it up on display... where it has lived for decades having never been used.

Greg's got a boat like that. Pristine, a perfectly shiny deck, not a nick on the boat anywhere and a new, crunchy sail. Only $800. Yesterday I got to sail it when the wind came up... after Greg had been sailing for a while. After tooling around on it, hiking hard and getting a bit tired, I came in for break. But Greg immediately said, "Go back out and I'll film you." I had brought my video camera and nice quality fluid head tripod with the intention of filming him.

So, I went back out. The location is Benicia, California. I'd guess it was gusting over 20 at times. Here's the video.

Cheers,

- Andy

Very nice video indeed and love that sail; best one ever from Sunfish!
What's the 'thing' hanging from the boom?
If you, or your buddy, would tie a vang, the sail wouldn't jump up so much while jibing in big breeze. Just a suggestion...

What's the 'thing' hanging from the boom?
A GoPro.
If you, or your buddy, would tie a vang, the sail wouldn't jump up so much while jibing in big breeze. Just a suggestion...
Actually, if you can believe it, we did have a vang on the gooseneck. But Greg still has the old, stretchy halyard on it and even though we cranked it down earlier it.... well... stretched. :cool:

Been after him to get another one from West Marine. Yes, isn't that sail color scheme the greatest? Really is a nice match for the boat!

- Andy

Back