Video: Sailing On Tomales Bay

andyatos

Our relentless rainy pattern in Northern California finally transitioned to a high pressure ridge so the boys were anxious for some sailing. Knowing the onshore seabreeze flow would eventually kick in, we took to the water even though it was still glassy on the bay with barely a breath of wind.

Made our way to the Point Reyes side of the bay where there's usually more flow then played musical chairs while waiting for the dramatic windline that accompanies the southwest wind arrival. It finally showed up so we bee lined to the northwest with the goal of sailing to Lawson's Landing to meet up with Dennis.

Here's some video of the day... with a surprising turn of events.

- Andy

What happened to the Sunfish?
When he pushed the tiller towards the stern to lower the rudder it bottomed out pretty hard and broke the fitting that holds the pintle pin on the forward edge of the plastic rudder cheeks.

And he's got a nearly brand new boat. He'll likely come on here to ask you guys whether you have seen this happen, how do all of you lower your rudder, how tight the bolt should be, etc. I'd like to know too... as it kind of amazed me this happened. A manufacturing defect maybe?

- Andy

I'm guessing the the bolt that attaches the cheeks was too tight to raise and lower the rudder in this manner. In the video, I was able to do it but later when we were launching I hit it pretty hard trying to lower it and it broke. As Andy stated, I am wondering if people use this feature or do they just raise and lower by hand. The cheek broke right where the pin passes through the holes that holds it to the metal bracket on the transom. Glad I wasn't alone. Andy towed me and then decided to have me climb aboard his Laser which worked much better. It was a fun sail back and we were able to talk a bit so it was all a great learning experience and a very great day.

In the video, I was able to do it but later when we were launching I hit it pretty hard trying to lower it and it broke. As Andy stated, I am wondering if people use this feature or do they just raise and lower by hand. The cheek broke right where the pin passes through the holes that holds it to the metal bracket on the transom. Glad I wasn't alone. Andy towed me and then decided to have me climb aboard his Laser which worked much better. It was a fun sail back and we were able to talk a bit so it was all a great learning experience and a very great day.
That doesn't sound like an easy fix. :(

Nice day sailing. If your boat is still under warranty I'd contact Laser Performance, I am not familiar with cheeks breaking like that.

I seem to be rough on this boat as I have already replaced my self bailer. The bolt was too tight and I hit the end of the tiller pretty hard with the palm of my hand so it was really my fault. Never had to replace much on the old Fish in Wisconsin. Intensity had the part in stock and let me know that it should get here in a couple of days. Going to keep an eye out for some aluminum cheeks. Thanks to the forum, I've met some really great people out here (like andyatos).

Back