Video: Sailing Between California Fronts

andyatos

Phil texted me on Thursday, pointing out that it looked like Friday might be good for the Russian River. He was right... it was going to be the warmest day of the week.

The only thing was the ridge of high pressure was going to be directly over us. That meant there was going to be pretty much no gradient winds at all. So, we'd have to rely exclusively on the river's sea breeze engine.

Here's the video.

Cheers,

- Andy

Nice video... I'm glad to see Norcalsail learning so much and honing his skills with good friends & sailors, that's what sailing is all about, though I used to take my friends with me aboard the Laser & Minifish. One at a time, unless one had a larger boat. Still heaps of fun, and I like to think that my passengers learned things as well, since many had never been aboard a Laser or Minifish before... every now and then, one of 'em took a swim, and so did I in rough seas & weather, lol. We also deliberately jumped overboard off Center Beach, right outside the impact zone, just to show those thousands of sunbathers & tourists splashing in the shallows how the locals did it, lol. Crawl back aboard, grab a fresh beer and get under way... sometimes the lifeguards would holler at us for violating the 500' limit, but we'd simply wave or hoist our beers and sail away. I might add that none of 'em looked like those female Hollywood "Baywatch" lifeguards, more's the pity... :confused:

I'm off to get cleaned up and watch 'The Big Game' on my curved screen... if the Chiefs fall behind in the first half, I reckon they'll never catch up to the Niners, not with that Niners defense so strong. My best friend's uncle lives in Santa Cruz, so he's rooting for the Niners... been on the edge of his seat during recent postseason games, lol. Moi, I don't really care who wins, I just want to see a good close match, not a boring blowout. Multiple lead changes and triple OT would be good, 10-4? Otherwise, I'm enjoying a relatively quiet day, just lounging around my home, checking the views, sharing quality time with the cats, and searching the Interwebs for the ideal thumper... I can buy an older KLR 650 in showroom condition, less than 3000 miles on it and nary a scratch, for only $3750, but those bikes are pretty heavy for the dirt. I originally targeted bikes in the 350-450cc range, but I may go higher or lower, depends upon the deal. :rolleyes:

MEH, ANY BIKE WILL BE FUN, AND I CAN ALWAYS THROW A 250 ON THE CARGO CARRIER... WE'LL SEE WHAT TRANSPIRES, AYE? :cool:

Thanks for bringing it up! I have been watching for this in Latitude 38 but had forgotten the specifics. Sailing in the Delta could be a lot of fun and pretty interesting. Much appreciated Chris, I just bookmarked the LWSC and if I make it, I'll let you know.

Norcalsail, I'm glad to see you getting into sailing as much as you have, that is really cool... and long-range planning can be fun, I'm enjoying my plans for sailing outta Dago once I rack up enough paid vacation. Someone told me that a newly-hired employee can't take vacation for at least six months, and I wouldn't want to anyway until I have at least a week to burn each time. We get around two weeks of paid vacay per year, so I'm thinking two weeklong vacations on the coast would be great, and of course they'd actually be more like 10 or 11 days with the weekends bracketing each week off, aye? Hey, I could always tack paid sick days onto my paid vacay---tell my employer I visited a leper colony during my time off, I'm sure there'll be no further questions asked, and they might even give me additional paid vacay, LOL. :eek:

The high cost of a Dago boat rental makes me wonder if I should buy a small craft and store it in a friend's yard in Coronado or San Diego. Maybe in a relative's yard... I'm still considering that option. Register the boat & license the trailer in AZ, it'd be cheaper that way, LOL. I reckon I'd get more sailing done aboard my own boat as opposed to rental action, but the rental boats would be larger & more comfortable... there's a trade-off or compromise either way. And as far as passengers go, I could sail with one or two friends on one day, one or two others on another day of vacation... rotate crew, so to speak. Or just sail solo, maybe buy a Lido 14 or something similar so that I could go either route in comfort... nothing wrong with a Lido 14, I learned to sail in Lidos, it'd be kinda funny if my first and last days of sailing on this planet occurred in that class, LOL. :rolleyes:

MEH, WE'LL SEE, I MAY JUST RENT BOATS & BREAK UP THE NAUTICAL ACTION WITH CAMPING IN MY OLD HAUNTS... THAT'D BE FUN, ESPECIALLY WITH A FRIEND OR TWO ALONG. :cool:

I'M OFF TO GRAB ANOTHER COLD BEER AFTER WORK, BEEN COLD & WINDY HERE LATELY, BUT MY HOME FURNACE IS CRANKED, LOL. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK UNDER SAIL, YOU'LL BE A MASTER MARINER YET!!! CHEERS!!! ;)

Last edited:
Hey Coastal, I like your plan to get back on the water. I would love to sail in the warm waters of San Diego. It's a long way to bounce my boat down I-5 though! Had a girlfriend from there in the 90's and we would visit her Mom. It's such a big beach town. Hope to hear of your sailing adventures.

I think it would be an absolute hoot to send Coastal a GoPro Hero 4 camera, with a waterproof microphone, and let him document some of his sailing experiences.

To hear him artfully spin a yarn... with periodic interruptions where he makes colorful (and anatomically impossible) suggestions to passing clueless boaters... would certainly more than offset the cost of providing said documenting technology in my humble opinion.

With this in mind, anyone know where the crowd source funding feature button on this sailing forum is? :cool:

crusty old sailor.jpg

- Andy

Back