Video: It Got Really Windy

Andy's videos are always so high quality and a great way to revisit our time on the water. As stated, we had a fun and fast sail north with good wind and smoothish water. We landed on that beach which almost seemed tropical. I followed Andy and Greg north of there but got tired and returned to the same place to wait for them. On the way back just south of Hog Island things got dicey with high winds and big waves. This was the strongest weather I've been in and I was quite tired and ready to be back at Marconi. At one point, I got too close to the east side, the water got shallow and I was unable to tack out. I was beached in high wind and it took a bit of untangling lines to get out again. I cut across toward the west side so I could finish my run back on starboard tack. The waves died down but the wind stayed strong. Though I was exhausted I had a bit of fun planing back as seen toward the end of the video. Right as I was pulling in, the sail jibed on me clocked me in the head, capsized the boat and I went for a swim; my first capsize in this boat. Glad it didn't happen earlier as I was getting hypothermic at that point-got to get some better gear. The new trailer made loading up a lot easier and we all helped each other. I went home pretty beat and very ready for a long hot shower. A tough day at times and a great experience in which I learned a lot. Another awesome day on Tomales Bay!

Though I was exhausted I had a bit of fun planing back as seen toward the end of the video.
Hooking back up with you at the end of the trip and blasting along that final windy stretch before arriving at the cove at Marconi's was a highlight for me on Saturday. I really like the footage I got of you abeam and upwind of me as you planed along in the afternoon lighting with the fog cloud over Point Reyes in the background.

- Andy

Thanks for waiting for me at that point too! I really liked that footage and e mailed it back to my Dad in Florida who first taught me to sail. Your videos are always come out so well!

Last edited:
"ARRRRRRR, NORCALSAIL!!! YER SOUNDING LIKE THE SEA WOLF NOW, MATEY!!!" :eek:

LOL... good job, yer learning fast!!! And if you're NOT heller beat tired after every voyage, you haven't been sailing or hiking hard enough, LOL. :confused:

CHEERS!!! :cool:

Back