Video: 17 Mile Loop In The Sunfishes

andyatos

There's an out and return sail I've been wanting to do for a number of years. Only problem was, I lived 2,600 miles away from it.

However, during a 2 week vacation I took recently to coastal Massachusetts, I was able to take a stab at the loop... and with my good friend Albert who was with me on the trip. After spending several days upgrading the Sunfishes, a day with good wind arrived. So we took to the water.

Here's the video.

PS. The video is 28 minutes long. I did it as a documentation memory for Albert and me, not so much for pure entertainment. But have a look if you like.

There's a "Tack Fest" against the tide in a small channel packed with moored boats we had to do at the end which was amusing. Being a new dinghy sailor, the tack fest was a challenge for Albert... if only for the fact that he didn't want to get hung up on a boat and damage one of the brand new sails we had just put on the Sunfishes.

Here's a Google Earth screen shot of most of the route.

17 Mile Loop Vimeo Thumbnail.jpg

- Andy

Hi Blue Heron,

Glad you liked the video. I too just can't get enough "little epic voyages" in a Sunfish. If fact, we had so much fun tooling around in those 2 Sunfishes that we're going to buy one for out here in California. Let's see... so now I've got 2 Lasers, 2 Sunfishes, another Sunfish on the way... ha!

Regarding the bridle, no, it's not official. I just measured the old cable one and made a duplicate with some low stretch line. The main reason I got rid of the cable one was so that, when it really blows, I can just swap out the one you saw... with the loop in the middle... with another rope one that has no loop with a pulley on it that will allow the boom to be off to leeward more when I sheet in to flatten the sail when I'm pointing.

Cheers,

- Andy

Back