Vent Hole----NOT!

Lafayette Mike

I'd like your opinions.....I bought a boat for my daughter, a Precision 13, which is a very nice laser clone. Very clean boat, she really likes it. But the only real hole in the boat is the transom drain. There aren't any inspection ports. No bailer, and no vent hole. When we set up the boat, on the trailer, we open the transom drain (never any water), then tighten it. The hull warms up in the sun, then we put it in the cool water and sail for a couple of hours. Take it out of the water, open the transom drain (no water at all), but a big whoosh of air into the hull. Apparently putting the boat in the cold water, cooled off the air in the hull creating a vacuum.

We store it with the transom drain open, so that isn't a problem, but isn't it odd that there is no vent hole? And should there be one? And if so, should we actually drill one?

Thanks for your thoughts.

does the boat have an inspection port? you might be able to leave it open a little bit while sailing to let air vent out of the hull.

You shouldn't leave the plug in when the boat is sitting in the sun, because you run the risk of the hull exploding. I put mine in right as I am ready to put my boat in the water. I have never heard of a vacuum forming in a hull, but I imagine it can't be good.

The boat does not have an inspection port. Hate to put one in till I need it....It's a very nice looking boat as is.

We never leave the drain plug in on land, but it is interesting....the hull must heat up just enough in the sun, that if we twist in the plug, then put the boat in the water....it cools enough to create a bit of a vacuum. You can hear and feel it when you take the boat out of the water and take out the plug.

Back