Velocitek (sp?) Legal? Can't be...

while we're at it lets go back to ledger paper and an abacus instead of excel. It's a new century full of canting keels and go fast electronics - get with the program.

PS maybe it's time to consider a new hull shape - chines are in...

Chines were never out! Sabots and Opti's (Amoung other boats) have always had em!

no one EVER has had a compass on an opti unless u went to worlds but that might stretch having a compass on a boat thats 7 1/2 ft long

And while I know we all have differing views on where the Laser should head, you guys all know that I have an evolutionary view, and I really only want the Laser to be the best it could be. I understand the rules of the boat and the class, and I understand the design principal. And I know that change takes time, and that the committee has only the best intentions for the class. So lets hope the next upcoming years are good ones!

Ross I'm at a loss to know what you really think. The whole point of this argument is that 'evolution' and 'wanting the best for the Laser' are mutually exclusive for huge numbers of Laser sailors - my guess would be the overwhelming majority. Thus when you say make better or improve you are referring to performance increase and assuming that we would agree that is better. Those of us who don't are not necessarily Luddite or against new technology. Many of us either have or still do, as frequently mentioned on this forum, sail other craft with varying degrees of sophistication. I love my other boat that is loaded with more tweaky dynema/harken controls than you could ever want. I buy two suits of sails a year, not because they are worn out but because they are development and we are always looking for an increase in performance. At our European Championships there will be 50+ boats but I doubt that more than 7 or 8 are well enough prepared to be capable of winning whoever is sailing them. That is not what I want from my Laser. I am racing the other guys by tactical and handling skills not boat tweaking skills. As long as all boats are the same its fine!

This is why contributors keep recommending other classes. Everything you want to do to your laser is already available to you but in other classes. If you want the popularity, simplicity and close racing of the Laser fleet RACE A LASER. If you want to tweak and fiddle to try and go faster sail a class that allows development. Attempts to turn the Laser into a development class will fail because you will lose it unique selling point and end up with just another development boat but with the laser that is one that starts form a poorly manufactured low tech over priced starting point.

no one EVER has had a compass on an opti unless u went to worlds but that might stretch having a compass on a boat thats 7 1/2 ft long

When I was sailing Optis in the 80's almost everyone had a little Silva compass to help us spot windshifts. I imagine most Opti sailors still use them today.

LARGE_sr_73r.jpg

Ross I'm at a loss to know what you really think.

that's a question alot of people ask themselves after reading most of Ross's posts. this whole thread began as question about electronics on the boat. Ross, Olympic Hopefull, was not aware that electronics are not allowed on Lasers. not in local races, not in championships, not in the Olympics. now, he'll reply and say he was just stirring up the pot to get people to think about the validity of electronics. it's unfortunate that an individual who perceives himself as an "up and comer", is only concerned with causing controversy. yet, he does not have the ability to appreciate the Laser for it's true intent and purpose. a worldwide, regulated, one-design class, that offers competitive racing and sailing to a wide demographic ( 4.7 thru Masters)

I knew electronics were illigeal, but I did not know exactly to what extent, I wanted to see it all spelled out

well it depends. where did u sail cuz here in new jersey no one has em

I started sailing Optis in the late 80s in the UK, and then we moved to NJ in 1989 and I sailed them on the Jersey Shore for a couple more years. Back then there wasn't much fancy equipment to buy for Optis like there is today, so maybe parents were more likely to buy a nice compass for their kids.

WAHOOOO NEW JERSAAAAYYYYY

well in my short career in the opti i never saw a compass in a kids boat even tho most of the kids i raced against were on the usnt or usndt

but i cant say you didnt see them so i must trust your word

Back