Velcro Clew Strap Pops Loose When Sail Powered Up

Wildbank

Has anyone ever had their Velcro clew strap unwind and release the clew while sailing? It happened to me in 10 knot winds. I was running with the wind behind me and the outhaul was rather loose (placing considerable pressure on the velcro.

I ASK BECAUSE I WANT TO ESTABLISH THE VIABILITY OF THIS PRODUCT. PERHAPS I DID NOT PRESS DOWN ON THE VELCRO TO CREATE A DTRONG CONNECT BEFORE LAUNCHING.

Any experience here?

Should I go back to tieing a bowline using the original spectra line?

mine did that when it was new, but seems to be getting softer and stickier, no slipping after the first 2 or 3 outings, so break it in good and see what happens, but tie a safety line on it. I think the metal sleeve is the way to go though.

If you are using a Rooster brand strap you may not have correctly rigged it? Another brand did that on me once, but the Rooster design is solid.

Mine did. However, it was my first sail in my new Laser, first time in a Laser for 15 years so in all probability I probably did something wrong. However, I changed to the new clew start hooky things which is great.

Ian

Mine did. I also replaced it with a Rooster brand and it hasn't happened since. I find it slides better too.

I bought that damned metal clew sleeve and have been regretting it ever since. It works great on shore, but always jams when out on the water. I just ordered a Rooster velcro strap, so I hope it works.

Never had a problem with my S.E.A. clewstrap. It does help to "wiggle" it down to make sure the velcro "grabs". Had it out in 20+ gusts the last two weekends.

Mine released first time out but with break in it gets better. Now I never have problems and have been out in 30+ without a problem.

Back