Varnish??

Ticktack

Hello all,
I’m refinishing my tiller & rudder & have always used Captains varnish in the past.
I was curious if there are any of the newer finishes that might hold up better or is varnish still the way to go?
Thanks!
Tom

I think the concensus here is two coats of epoxy, two of varnish to protect it, and light sanding and re-varnishing every season. Over decades, polyurethane has proven itself.

I think the concensus here is two coats of epoxy, two of varnish to protect it, and light sanding and re-varnishing every season. Over decades, polyurethane has proven itself.
Sounds good,
Just curious,
Is epoxy & polyurethane the same thing?Is polyurethane considered varnish?
Thank you!

2-part epoxy (like West Systems or TotalBoat) is not the same as polyurethane.

Of my 7 used Sunfish, rudders and boards came with some finish.

On only two, I'd sanded all the finish off. One coat per [busy] season can be an acceptable treatment.

Of my 7 used Sunfish, rudders and boards came with some finish.

On only two, I'd sanded all the finish off. One coat per [busy] season can be an acceptable treatment.
Yes, same here as far as most of the rudders & tillers on my 3 sunfish just need maybe light sanding & a fresh coat.
I’m tempted to use a water base UV polyurethane because of easy cleanup. Do you think the water base finish would adhere to the original finishes ( I’m assuming they were finished with oil base) or would it be better to go with an oil base varnish?
Thank you!

Yes, same here as far as most of the rudders & tillers on my 3 sunfish just need maybe light sanding & a fresh coat.
I’m tempted to use a water base UV polyurethane because of easy cleanup. Do you think the water base finish would adhere to the original finishes ( I’m assuming they were finished with oil base) or would it be better to go with an oil base varnish?
Thank you!
In the 1980s, water base finish was a tremendous gift to interior painters. (Furniture, walls, ceilings).

I doubt water based varnishes would adhere to oil-based varnishes, but I don't have any experience with water based products in a marine environment.

Some discussion of compatability should appear on the product's packaging.

Back