Vanguard vs Laser Performance, Are they built differently?

AdamCrescent

Im going to be in the market for a laser soon. I plan on spending 4-5k on a used one but at 6k for a new one it seems feasible. Obviously the new one would be a laser performance, but I'm also looking at used vanguards. If I'm correct vanguard was bought out and now laser performance makes them. My question is are the vanguards built better or would it be worth going for the laser performance? And if I were go used how hard would it be to find a boat <130 lbs with a 12'6" mast rake without any soft spots (I'm going for a radial) from what I've heard those are the numbers you want. Im 15 but i plan on taking this boat to college.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think 2006-2008 are the best. possibly the older laser performance one to. but when i compare my 2008 to a 2015 the rail on mine is alot thicker and just over all look like its alittle bit better quality. but most important mine has the bruce kirby trade mark on the back. if you pay 4,000 for a used one you get covers, probably better line, probably more then one sail spars and blades, and some accessorys, i dont know if new boats come with a dolly. for 6,ooo you get the hull and 1 of the basics. covers are about 500, carbon tiller and extension are about 250$ a new sail is about 600$. it ends up being alot more expensive once you ad everything up. i payed about 2500 for mine with 3 sails carbon tiller and extension compass all the lines, bottom cover and a perfect hull.

i think 2006-2008 are the best. possibly the older laser performance one to. but when i compare my 2008 to a 2015 the rail on mine is alot thicker and just over all look like its alittle bit better quality. but most important mine has the bruce kirby trade mark on the back. if you pay 4,000 for a used one you get covers, probably better line, probably more then one sail spars and blades, and some accessorys, i dont know if new boats come with a dolly. for 6,ooo you get the hull and 1 of the basics. covers are about 500, carbon tiller and extension are about 250$ a new sail is about 600$. it ends up being alot more expensive once you ad everything up. i payed about 2500 for mine with 3 sails carbon tiller and extension compass all the lines, bottom cover and a perfect hull.
Thank you, I dint consider all the extra costs, a cover and a dolly is absolutely necessary. Also a friend at my club reccomended a carbon tiller and extension because a metal one rubbed against his deck and caused a wear spot and carbon won't bend like metal. I saw on apsltd.com they had a big sale where a laser was $4,500 in which case if that happens again when I'm ready to buy puts a new boat back into the equation. But you also said the 2006-2008 boats are stronger but you own a torch and i believe they are built by different companies,

Adam: Your question can't readily be answered. Just too many variables.
I second ang with the idea of looking for an almost new boat. You will save a good amount of dough and you will be able to look the boat over carefully (weight and rake). If you buy new, you don't have a whole lot of choice. It's not like the dealer has twenty sitting on the lot that you can measure and compare.

Note that Laser hulls currently sold in North America are made in England. According to the infamous Construction Manual they should be identical to the ones made in prior years by Vanguard. But who knows.
And since you are learning how to sail the Laser fast, it won't make a bit of difference. Other factors are MUCH more important.

Adam: Your question can't readily be answered. Just too many variables.
I second ang with the idea of looking for an almost new boat. You will save a good amount of dough and you will be able to look the boat over carefully (weight and rake). If you buy new, you don't have a whole lot of choice. It's not like the dealer has twenty sitting on the lot that you can measure and compare.

Note that Laser hulls currently sold in North America are made in England. According to the infamous Construction Manual they should be identical to the ones made in prior years by Vanguard. But who knows.
And since you are learning how to sail the Laser fast, it won't make a bit of difference. Other factors are MUCH more important.
That cleared things up for me, and about the new boat situation you had a good point: i can pick my used one but i get what i get for a new one.

I think a good Vanguard will top a bad LP and vice versa. That said, I've always been happy with the later Vanguards (06-08). I have a 2008. Another note is that it's very important to have a good, functional rigging system.

Lemme ask you this. Are you sailing at a level where a boat that isn't < 130 lbs. with a 12'6" rake, but otherwise sound and a good price, that it would make that much difference?

Further, what are your competitors sailing with? The whole principle of the laser class is that it's one design and what matters is the skill level of the sailor. So the real question is aren't you a good enough sailor to beat your competitors with the same equipment?

Further, what are your competitors sailing with? The whole principle of the laser class is that it's one design and what matters is the skill level of the sailor. So the real question is aren't you a good enough sailor to beat your competitors with the same equipment?
I'm really just getting into the laser class, Most people around me are sailing with very straight boats I also plan on keeping this boat for a while, I want it to be dry and without many problems so I can get at least 3-5 competitive years out of it, I'd start off club racing but hopefully my skill would grow to be sailing in bigger regattas and I want my boat to measure in without problem

I'd check out the class rules. You will notice that things like mast rake are not measured as it is not covered in the class rules. On the other hand 50% of the advice given on this forum about rigging will result in your boat not measuring.

Back