Vang upgrade

Thanks, Bill. Mine is the Allen model, so a bit different than the Harken, but I just spent some time watching another guy do his Allen on YouTube and I think mine is now done right!

Here's an odd thing: The Allen vang set comes with a spare curved vang key, and this YouTube installation video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgveQKkOQI4

shows at the end that you should install it alongside the other (already in place) vang key. Why the heck would anyone need two of these alongside each other when you can only use one?

Why the heck would anyone need two of these alongside each other when you can only use one?
If one breaks, you are instantly back in business.

There is a class rule that explicitly allows two vang keys. I believe it's a relic from the straight-key-only era, as the straight version is fundamentally more prone to breaking due to not being designed for the current key fitting.

Does anyone know of a bent key having ever broken?

_

Mine is the Allen model, so a bit different than the Harken, but I just spent some time watching another guy do his Allen on YouTube and I think mine is now done right!
Clicked on over to that video and recognized it immediately. You now have the same vang as me and Greg.

- Andy

We did a video on calibrating / setting some reference marks on your vang awhile back that you might like. It shows you how to get a decent max ease setting, maximize the range out of the system, and setup some basic upwind reference points. The music is annoying so you may want to use subtitles or PM us and will send you the version without music!

Maybe you'll find this to be a helpful reference diagram

Attachments

• Vang.jpg
    Vang.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 60
There is a class rule that explicitly allows two vang keys. I believe it's a relic from the straight-key-only era, as the straight version is fundamentally more prone to breaking due to not being designed for the current key fitting.

Does anyone know of a bent key having ever broken?

_
My boat has sailed for over 38 years with the old straight vang key. And it's one of the few parts that have NOT broken all this time.

Back