Vang to daggerboard....

ChalmersP

I know some people tie their vang to their board so it doesnt slide to the low side.... but I find it hard to pull in the vang, is it possible to tie a block to the front of the board to make vang tensioning easier?

A lot of people tie the rope handle on the daggerboard so it sticks straight up. Not sure how to describe it as a picture would be best. They tightly coil the line around itself.

This does two things. One, it's something easy to grab when they want to pull the board up. Two, they toss the end of the vang line (assuming it's tied with a bowline) over the rope handle. This keeps the end of the vang from sliding down to leeward, but is within reach and can be adjusted normally.

And no, I don't think adding a block would be allowed by class rules.

If you're finding it hard to pull on, it's likely your tail on your vang line is to short, it needs to be about 700mm longer than if you didn't tie it onto the centreboard, which allows the vang to be pulled on without the section of line attached to the centreboard becoming taut.

But to answer your question, no pulley is permitted to do what you're indicating.

If you are having trouble pulli9ng on the vang you probably ought to invest in the new boom vang kit. The purchase is much greater and rather than use a bunch of knots as "pulleys" the new vang uses real ball bearing pulleys.
More important than the vang, the new cunningham system makes it possible to pull the grommet down with many times more force than the old tumbling knots system.

back to the vang...I don't ever remember finding it hard to pull on the vang, even with the old system Try two blocking before pulling on the vang and it is easy even with teh old rig.

but with the old cunningham system my upwind setting in big breze was however hard I could stand to pull before my hand screamed for me to stop. With the new system, I never even use all my fingers to pull anything but the outhaul.

My guess is you are not as huge person. Upwind depowering is mostly accomplished with the cunningham and only some with the vang. The outhaul doesn't matter as it onluy lets out teh bottom part of teh sail and that part doesn't have the leverage to make teh boat heel...but ithe return on teh curved bottom of teh sail is what makes it possible to round up and throw the bow over the waves...

So, to open the upper leech, It is the cunningham you really need to tighten..If you are having a hard time pulling on the vang, I am certain you will be much better off with the new cunningham system....as well as the new vang.

I have all of the new systems, maybe I worded that improperly... When I put the tail of my vang through a piece of line on the front of my board, it is hard to pull on... Do you guys pull through the piece of line to act as a turning point, or do you just use that to hold the vang on deck? I hope that makes sense!

You only tie the vang to the board as a means of not losing the end over the side.

You still pull from in from of where it attaches to the board, as you would if it wasn't tied there.

You don't use it as another turning point, through which you pull.

Ok its kinda starting to sound like where you tie the vang aint causing the problem :confused: If your having a problem cranking it on join a gym and build up some upper body muscle! If its where your fixing your vang line, stop fixing it there and try something else.

I've no pics of my set up but i'l try explain it:

I have a handle on top of my board what sticks up about the height of a fist, its actually like 2 mars bars stuck together, just sticks straight up. I have a tied handle in a circle on the end of my kicker that I just drop over the top of the 2 mars bars! So when Im cranking on the kicker the end aint actually tied onto anyhting, so I can really lean back into it if needs be.

Im also getting fairly handy at staying out on the rail in very heavy weather and throwing the "ring" on the vang onto the board handle!!!

The tail of the vang is merely tied to the centreboard, it's not a turning point. To use it as a turning point is illegal irrespective of the presence of any pulleys.

Back