Vang / Kicker - Quick Release Pin

Dick Tillman's Complete Book of Laser Sailing shows a quick release mechanism for the attaching the vang/kicker to the mast fitting (page 36):

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...Ag#v=onepage&q=vang quick release pin&f=false

Does anybody know where I can get one of these?

I'm based in the UK but any supplier will do.

Thanks!

I use the same system (identical - from the same book). I was unable to find the correct diam. in UK/Europe and ended-up having to order them from the US. Everything I found in the UK was metric and the Harken kicker has imperial sized holes. I got mine from West Coast (who advertise/are active on this site). They were very helpful and very efficient and from my experience I can recommend them (they shipped mine to France).

I also note that the current rule changes being voted-on (as we discuss now), if passed would make such an arrangement legal !!

The arrangement is excellent. Makes rigging very fast. Definitely worth doing but if doing any (major) events make sure you have a longer line for the cunningham through the sail eye; long enough to reach e.g. the kicker "tang" on the mast - which would make it class legal until the vote is through. You might also have to temporarily remove the bit of line holding the fast/push pins to the kicker block (again for (major) events until the voting makes the system legal).

When you order the push/fast pins, make sure you order the correct length as they come in quite a range of lengths (and too short and too long are no good).

Ian

Try intensitysails.com good guys. good service. they ship world wide!

Completey agree but their fast pin does not have a push button. I had one fall out while sailing. I would highly recomend one with a locking pushbutton mechanism.

Bill

Completey agree but their fast pin does not have a push button. I had one fall out while sailing. I would highly recomend one with a locking pushbutton mechanism.

Bill

I don't know what type Intensity sell but you definitely want the ones with the push buttons (Fastpins and Pushpins). There are some cheaper ones with just a small sprung ball bearing and whilst I've not used those on the Laser kicker, I have on shrouds for a stayed rig - but there they are always under a lot of tension. Definitely go for the Push and Fast pin types. In fact the photo used two different types and I copied the same types for kicker and Cunningham.

Ian

Everything I found in the UK was metric and the Harken kicker has imperial sized holes. I got mine from West Coast (who advertise/are active on this site). They were very helpful and very efficient and from my experience I can recommend them (they shipped mine to France).

For the UK guys, I've just ordered this:
http://www.sailboats.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?productID=R6512&InventoryKey=0

I'll confirm if it works, should be the same as the others above!

If you have the Harken Kicker it has Imperial sized holes and the Metric ones will go through them but the retainer does not hold the pin in properly. The one you have ordered is metric. I purchased a load from UK (all metric) before I realised the Imperial/metric requirement. I can sell you some metric ones I have but cannot use cheap !!

Ian

the US pin equates to 6mm x 12.5mm, the RWO one is 5mm by 12mm, I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same though, inches won't be as accurate, it's most likely the same pin

That said, I've ordered a carbine hook instead for £2.50 instead of £15 for the pin!

the US pin equates to 6mm x 12.5mm, the RWO one is 5mm by 12mm, I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same though, inches won't be as accurate, it's most likely the same pin

I repet again - I've purchased the metric ones and they don't work. I don't quite know what you don't understand in what I'm saying. I've tried it and have a load of fast and push pins that don't work in my Harken kicker. Maybe you think I am incompetent when I purchased and tried ? Still, its your money. At least with UK distance selling laws you can return them (less shipping costs), where when I purchased the from UK delivered to France the delivery costs made returning them a non-starter.

inches won't be as accurate, it's most likely the same pin

Why wont inches be as accurate ? And I have experience having purchased them - they are not the same pin.

Ian

Sorry, just that websites will be lazy in their descriptions of things, and, the metric system can be more specific than imperial (yep, that won't start a war).

Regardless, is there any issue in using the following hook instead and leaving the (clevis?) pin as it is?
http://www.sailboats.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?productID=ED-731705-E

No idea - I've not tried one. The problem with the metric fastpin/pushpin is the small retaining sprung/locking ball bearing that keeps the pin in place. The metric sized pins that fit are a bit loser so the locking ball bearing does not hold well and the pin can drop out (releasing your kicker or Cunningham). With the clip/hook your link points to, being a bit lose is not an issue from a holding it in place perspective.

Ian

Makes sense, I've got the Holt rather than Harken kicker, so I'm not sure if that's a 5 or a 1/4" hole, anyway, I know a guy at our club uses a hook, pinched the idea from him :)

I'll post something if I find a problem with the carabiner style hook

Back